2: Heart of Glass

H A I S L E Y

The Garnet Palace had once been held as a prison to the princess of whom I had first served in the early year of my youth. A prisoner of war that she had become and yet the princess grew more beautifully in this very place with the death of her family and of her people on her back.

Fate must be laughing right at my face when Princess Elaine was brought into this world. Princess Elaine Gwyneth Arias or Abandoned Princess, a title given by the people of Luville Kingdom.

Now I watched as the daughter of the lady, whom I had first served, grew up in these very same walls of Garnet Palace.

I cast a worried look at the small princess who was watching the rain by the window with a frown on her face. This was the first time the princess look so displeased.

"Hmm," the princess grumbled. Did she eat something that upset her stomach? Don't tell me it's a bug?! Children tend to be curious and they would often put anything whatever object they have gotten hold of inside their mouth. Oh, dear gods, I hope that's not the case since Elaine is quite different from the other children.

Princess Elaine is a peculiar one ever since she was a newborn baby. She seldom cries and laughs which is very concerning. She always looked lost in thought and if not she was mumbling and grumbling about something with her chubby hands in fists. If I know better she was cursing at someone but she's just a child with a limited vocabulary at that, so I usually ignore that thinking and assumed that she must be playing with her imaginary friend.

But as the years go by, slowly the princess starts to smile often. It brought my heart to ease and in joy when Elaine started talking to me. Elaine usually speaks when she's only being asked but this time the princess herself approached me first.

I could see that the child under my care was kind and very lovey just like the queen. All I could wish for is that the king would see how his daughter grows. I'm sure that's what her majesty would want.

"What's wrong, princess?" I asked. Please don't let it be a bug she had eaten out of curiosity!

"...M'just thinking," Elaine answered without much looking at me.

I sighed in relief. It's not a bug. "Do you want to tell me what you are thinking, princess?"

It's been raining for months and little time that the sun brought sunlight to the land.

"What do I do when I grow up?" The princess asked which surprised me.

Before I could open my mouth Elaine said, "I want to go to the library, Haisley. Let's go tomorrow." The princess then walked towards her bed and tucked herself in. "Goodnight."

The princess was a smart and talented child. Elaine had already memorized the alphabet and numeric numbers at age of five. She even wrote her brother's name without misspelling it.

Now, knowing both royal children had interacted I only hope that they get along. Perhaps my fear of that the prince held resentment towards his sister was wrong.

I still remember the prince at the age of two witnessing his mother on her deathbed. His cries were loud and devastating to the point it had caused him to have a high fever as he asked the queen to not leave him alone. The next day he woke up still with a fever but no mother to make him feel better.

The princess was probably somewhat aware of what's her situation she was in and the thought made me sad for the child. I shook my head and pushed it aside. Her highness didn't need pity but someone who's always ready when she needed help.

With a smile, I said, "Of course, princess." I kissed her forehead and bid her goodnight.

I then promised myself that I'll support Elaine no matter what she becomes.

And so I blew out the candles and quietly left the princess I love like my own child.