17: Heart of Glass

She had forgotten how to smile. All she could do was watch in envy and long for happiness.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"You!" The person who stabbed me bellowed.

Before he could take a single step, his strength gave away as his knees met the cold floor. His companions looked alarmed when he started vomiting blood.

"Boss!"

"Are you alright?!"

As if he hadn't heard the worry calls from his men, he asked, "Nnhg! What's happening to me?"

"This. Is what.. You. Want. Isn't it?" I managed to wheeze out. It was now harder to breathe but I could somehow still stand with the support of the bench I was holding onto.

"I–I feel like dying..."

His men were hesitant to approach him afraid that they might be cursed as well.

"'Course you are. The power... You want is taking... Your body." I coughed out more blood this time.

The fastest way to kill someone was to stab them in the heart. But it is also a way to place a curse on someone using a cursed item.

I was almost at my limit. My life force was being drained by the dagger. Taking it out wouldn't do much other than hasten my death.

"You were aware of this and yet you didn't tell me?!" He screamed in anger as if I had betrayed him.

I slightly tilted my head smirking down at him and raised my middle finger. "No need to thank me," I said in a whisper but it was loud enough for him to hear.

"You little bitch!"

We were all startled when we heard a huge blast that shook the church.  Rubbles and dust fell from the ceiling. The church was filled with light making it more sickening to look at. Blood almost filled the floor, and lifeless bodies of children were piled on one side.

As I turned towards the source of light, I saw Lucas, followed by Edmund, and finally, Aiden before my eyes were staring at the dark towering ceiling. I was seeing things... I could understand if Aiden were here, but the presence of Lucas and even the king himself with my brother was beyond any logical explanation. It had to be the cursed item, affecting my eyes or perhaps even my brain. I must be in a state of delusion.

"Princess!" Yelled a voice that sounded very similar to Lucas'.

Now, I was hearing things.

The sound of clashes of swords made me think of the war I had once been a part of. I encountered diverse individuals, in different wars and eras. It always left me wondering why humans love playing war battles.

The man beside me chuckled darkly and stood. "I'm back! No longer confined within that accursed dagger! Ooh! This body is pretty strong. Shall we test my power?"

It seems the evil spirit was now fully in control of its new host.

Well, it's no longer my problem. After all, I was dying...

With that in mind let's just peacefully leave this place. My tired eyes fluttered before closing, almost offering me relief.

"Goodbye."

As I bid my farewell to everyone I had known, I was reminded of the pain I had been ignoring until now when someone took my hand. The pain from this sudden movement was agonizing that in the brick of death, my eyes shot wide open.