16: Heart of Glass

Her broken cry rang within the cold walls of the palace. At a young age, she lost someone dear to her, her second mother. Haisley.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

It was as if the church had become darker and more ominous. An unpleasant feeling had crept over me as though an invisible hand lightly touched my spine, leaving a trail of unease in its wake. The hairs of my skin stood from the unsettling feeling I had.

A violent sound came from the man's mouth overpowering the scream of the girl who proclaimed to be a priestess. Her tear-stained face contorted with agony and fear as her life slowly slipped from her eyes, and soon her cries and tears came to a stop.

"I... I need more blood," the man said in a grueling sound as he pulled the dagger out of the dead girl's heart.

The air suddenly grew heavy the moment a sinister aura enveloped the blade. Its edges appeared to be sharper, casting an eerie gleam as if it felt alive with dark energy.

A cursed item.

Immediately, my hand grasped at the pendant. I felt that my neck almost broke as I yanked the chain around my neck forcefully. Perhaps a lesson learned, never act cool if I was going to get hurt in the end.

The only child left aside from me flinched and unconsciously moved closer to my side knowing that he was next to be killed as a sacrifice. Taking the muted boy's trembling hand, I gave him my necklace.

"Don't ever let go of it," I whispered in urgency before he was taken away.

He looked at me with a frightened face as he was being pulled towards the table. With his other arm extended forward he tries to escape the vice grip just to get back on my side.

Gripping the hems of my dress I prayed for the first time in a long time that the protection stone would protect the boy. Lucas wouldn't give me a fake one, right?

Just before the boy could get near the altar the man with the cursed item jumped towards the child piercing the weapon to his heart. With a dull sound echoing around the church and mixed up with confusion and disbelief, the dagger remained pointed at the boy's chest but never touched the skin or his dirty clothes. A transparent light of color blue covered the boy.

"What the hell?! Why are you..."

"RUN!" I screamed startling the child. He quickly obeyed, taking advantage of the confusion he easily slipped away from the grip and ran. I yelled once more when he looked back with hesitation visible on his face. "Just run! Don't look back, keep running!"

The boy was quite agile that no one caught him. As the door closed to a shut the boy safely escaped leaving me alone with five men and dead bodies.

"Let him escape. He's just a mute boy from the slum, no one will listen to him, and if someone actually does it will be too late. I would already obtained the true power of this cursed item by then," their leader spoke. A nasty smile crept on his face as he looked in my direction with his already black eyes. "Also, we still have another sacrifice left to be killed."

He was becoming more like a demon but only in appearance. When it comes to power he's definitely weaker than a demon. Or I could say that the evil spirit that was imprisoned inside the dagger slowly took over his body

"Search her if she has another protection stone with her before bringing her to me," he ordered and I was quickly brought to the center aisle after searching thoroughly that I felt molested. "You're quite a beauty, girl. A lot of money will fall to my hand if I sell you."