2: House of Gold

MYKEL

Mykel Cree, the royal adviser of his majesty, King Edmund, and of course a loving husband to my wonderful wife.

Before having this blessed life, people saw me as just a simple traveler, with an occupation requiring me to never stay in one place for more than weeks, a month at most.

But who would have thought the life I was living which only revolves around my job had turned upside down after meeting the person I was tasked to un— after a fateful encounter with the King of Luville and my wife.

Lucas watched in awe as my life unfolded, amazed at how my life had become of like a fairytale that's been popular for girls these days.

The aristocrats were extremely against how I was given the title of Royal Adviser without discussing it with them, believing that I was not worthy to serve the king by his side since I was a commoner from another country and especially with a questionable background.

They could not retaliate directly against me due to their fear of the king but it didn't stop them from voicing out their disapproval. Their protests subsided when his majesty revealed that I was the one who lifted the curse afflicting the Viscount Cruz's only daughter, they completely stopped when I gained a new status as the fiance of the Viscount's daughter.

There was a pregnant pause as four pairs of eyes remained fixed at the closed door of the office. The prince had abruptly run off without completing his findings after seeing his sister.

It seems our crown prince had decided to avoid his sister after all. For the past five months after the incident at the abandoned church, the prince seldom leaves his room, other than attending his usual swordsmanship training he stopped going out from the Emerald Palace.

We collectively decided the best approach following how the young prince's dark under eyes deepened to not hold a celebration for the prince's birthday for the sake of his mental health. Having to watch his sister with a dagger on her chest and be pulled by Elaine herself was very traumatic for a child. The image had been etched into his mind.

An equerry then entered after the prince left. He was Aiden's personal attendant and the newly appointed leader of the Third Unit, Luis Cruz, the third son of Viscount Cruz.

According to Luis, the person who spread the false rumor about the princess was no other than the crown prince's maid. The maid has been on the prince's radar for quite some time, but he has yet to acquire sufficient proof to severely punish her. Now with Luis and the prince catching her red-handed, she was put behind bars.

His majesty did not spare any time and charged the maid with defamation to a royal family and even involving the royal church with false statements. She will be sentenced to death six days later.

I watched attentively at the victim of the two incidents. The princess was still pale and skinny, she looked so weak that she might die just by standing there. But her eyes, those beautiful ocean green eyes, were clear as if she wasn't affected by the incident where she almost died.

The whole royal estate was in a state of chaos when the king came running back to the palace, his body drenched in blood from their secret investigation. In his arms, was a half-dead princess, with Lucas following closely, carrying the other royal child who was unconscious.  

"Do you know what this is?" His majesty spoke after the matter of the false rumor had been solved.

It was the cursed item that the suspect used to kill those children at the church. The curse items could manipulate individuals with weak minds or those desperate for power. With a host in play, they will conduct crimes according to how the item was used before becoming a cursed item.