5: House of Gold

Deep down an unknown feeling lit a spark and illuminated her lonely heart. She felt warm and happy.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

My silver hair was braided elegantly around my head like a crown. Lucas even added the gold ribbon that Aiden had given to me which was woven beautifully. I jumped out of the chair and turned to the captain, saying, "I apologize for doubting you, Sir Lucas."

"It's alright, princess. I've always wanted to braid my future daughter's hair like this someday," he replied, patting my head gently so as to not ruin his work. "It's like I have become a second father to you after this."

A warm smile spread across my lips, liking the small gesture he made. Then I remembered that I had planned to give those to Lucas. I went to one of the drawers, tore the page from my sketchbook, and retrieved the handkerchief from my closet before returning to the captain.

Beaming, I said, "Thank you for everything, Lucas." The two objects I made were the best works I had created yet, as I continued improving my artistic skills.

He held the paper where a drawing of him holding a bouquet of Ryllis flowers, staring at it for a while, and went to look at the handkerchief with green vines at each corner of the cloth and his initials embroidered in red thread.

"On second thought, please marry me," Lucas said in awe.

I don't mind marrying a handsome young man. Lucas was still in his prime and a respected noble who served an important role in the kingdom as the Captain of the Imperial Guards. Among all potential suitors, he was one of the most eligible bachelors for any young woman of status. If I ever marry him, wouldn't I be safe with him protecting me as his wife? I can even make him brush my hair every day. And he will no longer have to look for someone to marry, since he's quite the unlucky one in finding a partner. It's a win-win for both of us. Also, age wasn't a problem.

"Your thoughts are slipping out, princess. I would like to take my words back. His majesty and the prince would have my head if you were to become my wife."

"What a shame," I  said in disappointment.

He chuckled and quickly switched the topic. "Speaking of prince. Why don't we visit him together?" 

Without much thought, we went to see my brother. The crown prince's room was on the third floor directly below mine. He looked surprised to see me enter with Lucas. Exhaustion was still visible on his face despite his complexion had returned. 

"W-w-what is she doing here, Lucas?" he stammered glaring at the captain as if he had been betrayed.

A despondent feeling stirs inside me. Although I'm using Aiden to my benefit for my survival, it pained me how he acted as if he did not want to see me at all.

My heart sank when I approached my brother's bedside and saw the way he looked as if he wanted to run. Bowing my head, I said, "I'm sorry."

"Ah– no. That's...You shouldn't–don't apologize, sister."

I looked up at him with the hope that he wasn't angry, but his face held conflicting emotions. He didn't want my apology and yet he's making a face like he's constipitated.

I felt like a husband trying but failing miserably to decipher his wife's cryptic change in mood and attitude.

The anger inside me was rising that I wanted to scream at this very moment but at the same time, the frustrations and wanting to give up made me want to lay on the ground and cry.