ONE

- CHAPTER 1 -

❝I don't like you James

I don't like you James.

Hogwarts, sixth year.

A FEW DAYS PRIOR to the holidays, Lily Evans had broken up with James Potter. It was quite surprising, to say the last. They had only lasted three months at most, and that too with rare intimate moments.

"James? Can i talk to you?"

After saying goodbye to his friends, the boy got up and went towards his girlfriend with a soft smile present on his face. He was about to peck her on the cheek when she had suddenly turned around and started walking away.

"Lils, what's wrong?"

"We have to break up James."

James looked at her with wide eyes, he thought that their relationship was going well. Lily had looked content, and had never complained throughout it all.

"W-What? What do you mean?"

"James, I can't keep forcing myself to be with you. You're a great person, you deserve someone who treats you better. I don't like you James, I never have. I'm sorry, I can't keep doing this."

For the past few years, James had thought that being harmed by his best friend's wolf had hurt the most. But now, standing in the courtyard all alone, with nothing but an empty heart, he was sure that he was mistaken.

Is this what love was like? One moment, you're at your happiest point in life. And the next? You feel like you're about to fall apart. You feel like at any given moment, you were going to fade away.

Like everything was a fragment of your imagination, an absolute dream. Nothing was real, it was all up in your head.

"Prongs? Mate, are you alright?"

James did not break down, he did not cry at all. He just looked at his best friend, and nodded his head. To his friends, it had looked like the boy was in some type of trance. Like he was breathing, but not alive.

"Mate, you're scaring me!"

Without saying a single word, James walked away from his friends and headed towards his dorm with nothing but the thought of his bed on his mind.

And for the next few days, up until the summer break, James had remained in the dorms and had spent his days with nothing but silence. Even if his friends had tried their best to cheer him up, none of it had helped.

When Grace had first showed up at The Potter Manor, James was at his absolute lowest point in life. He wasn't upset that Lily had broken up with him, no.

These days, he would think about how there was just something so incredibly wrong with him. He was absolutely horrible, and everyone had deserved to hate him.

Maybe it was the way he looked, or the way he talked. Maybe it was his personality, or just his whole entire being. It had to be something, but what was it that was so distasteful about him?

"Why're you so down Potter?"

James looked over at the girl and sighed. She had been at his house for a total of three days and overall, it had felt like an eternity.

It wasn't that she was a bad person, not at all. It was just that James had felt completely destroyed, and was losing pieces of himself as days had passed by.

"Nothing, i'm fine."

Grace knew that something was wrong with him, the boy was absolutely horrible at hiding his emotions. However, she did not know whether it was her place to question him or not.

She had her fair share of secrets, something the girl hadn't talked about with anyone so far. Life had treated her horribly, it was visible to everyone around her.

Grace Valdez was equally as broken as James, maybe even more. The only difference was that the boy's past had haunted him all the time, while the girl's had only haunted her while she had slept underneath the moonlight.

"Prongs, mate, you look like you're about to throw up."