TWENTY

- CHAPTER 20 -

I love you.

Potter Manor, Summer break.

LOVE WAS A BEAUTIFUL THING, known by all, preserved by some. James Potter had thought that he was at his highest, and that it could not get any better than that.

However, as days pass by, Grace Valdez would prove him wrong once more. No matter how much time would pass, or how many hours they would spend together, Grace would always find a way to take the boy by surprise.

"And i also got you this, a quill. Yours broke last night, did it not?"

"You noticed?"

"Yes, of course."

Through it all, James could not help but feel like he had to do something in return. It was how his mind has worked since the very beginning, to love another more than they shall love him.

That was one of the things Grace had adored so much about him, James was always so thoughtful and caring about the people around him. Whether it be his parents, his brother, or even a classmate he had only met once, James has never failed to make others be comfortable in his presence.

"You are reserved by me tonight G, don't forget."

"Excuse me, have you booked an appointment?"

"I thought i had the privileges, you wound me, and my poor heart. Oh! My poor little heart.."

"Don't be so dramatic Potter."

This was the one thing Grace had been so fond of, the way James would always find small reasons to make her smile. He would only wave at her, and her heart would still burst up into flames.

Even the tiniest of things, like his glances towards her from across the room, or his touches from underneath the dining table, it would all do so much more than he could imagine.

James Potter had Grace wrapped around his fingers, even though the boy had thought the exact same to himself. They were both falling in deep, and without a single thought of ever saying goodbye.

"Ready to go?"

"Yes, help me with this necklace please."

Looking at each other in the mirror, the pair simultaneously thought that they were being deceived by their own eyes. A match so perfect, one both had yearned for since the very beginning.

Grace could feel the boy's fingertips brush across her neck, no touch going unnoticed. After James had clipped the necklace on, he brought his lips closer to her shoulder and pressed on it a soft kiss.

"Cmon then, let's go."

A few days ago, Grace had mentioned how badly she dreamed of going on a picnic. And so to make her happy, James had prepared a place near his gardens to the best of his abilities. Truth to be told, it was mostly Euphemia's efforts, he just tagged along.

"What do you think?" he asked nervously.

"I love it James, i really do." she replied while pulling him closer to herself.

Grace was, once more, shocked by how attentive James can be. A thing she mentioned once, or even twice, James had taken notice of it and made it exactly like how she had wanted it to be.

The date was going perfectly, something they had both expected. It was the one thing the two had adored about their relationship, that no matter where they would be, and what they would be doing, their presence alone was enough to make their hearts content and happy.

"I've got something for you G, would you like to see?"

"I'm a sucker for gifts Potter, you know that."

With a little hesitance, James handed her the small box that had been wrapped neatly, thanks to his mother once more. Slowly, Grace untied the red ribbons that were on top of it, and opened the box with excitement.

"James, i-i—"

"Listen, it's like a promise ring. Until the war is over, wear it as a promise. To remember that we have so much more waiting for us. Because we will come back to each other, won't we?" he said while showing her the one on his finger.

Grace had been surprised, more than she usually would be. The girl could feel herself tearing up about everything around her. The time that they had been given, it was all too less.

They didn't deserve this, no one did. Just a few months ago, everything was perfect. They could do whatever they had wanted to, as long as they had wanted to.

But now, every single step taken by them was taken with gratitude, with sadness. With the expectations that it'd be their last one, no more after that.

"I love you James."

"I love you too Grace, forever."

Fate had always worked in mysterious ways, and so had the devil. Things would start to go wrong when you'd least expect it, thats how life had worked. This was what every witch and wizard had feared, to be right in front of their loved ones, yet so incredibly far away.

Was this the moment that they had been dreading all this time? Was the promise they made going to remain as a simple memory, and nothing more than that?

"James!"

"Grace, no!"

A / N : time to make it interesting:')