THIRTY-FOUR

- CHAPTER 34 -

❝I want you to have it, before it's too late

I want you to have it, before it's too late.

The Potter Manor.

THERE WAS SOMETHING REALLY comforting about eating dinner at a big table, surrounded by all your family and friends. And since it was not possible to invite friends over, the Potters had decided to have fun by themselves, an occasion worth celebrating.

Euphemia had been rather upset at first, since James had asked the big question in such a bland way. She had always loved grand things, and was someone who had made sure each moment was done in a special way.

But Euphemia had understood the effect that the war was having on her kids, and she could not do anything to stop it, since she had felt the exact same way. Entrapped in their own homes, like animals in a zoo.

"Have some of this Grace, i made it for you."

"Yes, thank you Euphemia."

Grace Valdez had thought of the lady as her own mother, and as someone who had taken her in during the lowest point of her life. Not just her, Fleamont himself was someone that had gotten really close to the girl over the past few months.

From the very beginning, Fleamont had always dreamed of having his own daughter. One he could spoil, and treat with absolute love and care. Having Grace in the house, and now as his daughter in law, Fleamont had felt as though his dreams were coming true.

Grace was absolutely perfect for their son James, a great balance to his quick and vulnerable nature. She would always know what to say and do, even when their son would be having a horrible day.

And that was what they had loved about her, she could notice the smallest of details about other people, and use it to help them when they had needed it the most.

"Come with me Grace, i've got something for you," said Euphemia with a loving smile.

The girl had been in their room many times before, almost everyday in fact. The children had loved to spend time with the parents on their bed, and listen to the stories about their past.

But walking into the room alone, with only the woman by her side, Grace could feel the nerves in her start to creep up.

"Here, this is for you."

"What's this?"

It was a small box, one that had looked quite old. And even though it had been so, it was kept in a very clean and protected manner. Undoubtedly, the work of the older woman.

"It's a ring, our family ring. James just proposed to you with the one he gave you before, he's quite foolish when it comes to things like these."

"But i can't have this, i—"

"Grace, you are now our daughter. The war that is upon us, i want you to have it before it's too late. I love you like my own, and i want to treat you that way."

The world had worked in mysterious ways, that was something Grace had realised very late. The mother that was related to her by blood, had treated her like anything but her own. And a woman who had only known her for a few years, had already introduced her to the many beauties of the world.

Euphemia Potter had opened the girl's eyes, and showed her how families were actually supposed to be.

"Mum, you gave her the ring."

"Well, at least one of us has to remain smart."

"Yea—mum!"

And although the last few days had been hard with the war creeping up on them, James Potter could feel himself relax for the very first time since the start of it.

"Come here G," the boy said while waving her over.

James took the girl's hand in his, and brought it up to his lips. Softly kissing the ring on her finger, and then her cheek, he had hoped that time would pause at that very moment.

For the first time in months, James Potter had felt as though life had been normal. There was no such a thing as the Dark Lord, or magic in general. They were two normal people, who were undoubtedly in love.

"Come, let's bake that bread you had wanted."