TEN

- CHAPTER 10 -

❝Merry Christmas James

Merry Christmas James.

Hogwarts, sixth year.

CHRISTMAS WAS the most favourite holiday for the students of Hogwarts. The excitement of going back home, and getting all the presents that they'd ask for, it was absolutely delightful.

The festivities would put everyone in a good mood, even the people with the most horrible of days. Out of all of them, it was James Potter who had been the most excited.

"Potter, do you not know how to wrap presents?" the girl asked with a groan.

They had taken up the task of wrapping the presents they had gotten for the boy's parents. As per usual, James was messing everything up with Grace right on his tail.

The girl took the present away from the boy's hand and started wrapping it on her own. If you'd ask James why he would mess up so much, he would simply say that it was to waste time.

James wasn't that bad at all the tasks he'd be given. With Grace, he would only mess up on purpose to spend more time with the girl. It was crazy, he knew of it.

"Let's go, it's time for dinner."

For their last dinner of the year, James had asked the girl to sit with them at the Gryffindor table. Even though teachers would never approve of that, it was Christmas, could they really say no?

"Pass me the gravy, would you Prongs?"

This was the first time in the past few months where Grace and James were eating in the great hall instead of the kitchens. Surprisingly, Grace had gotten a lot better at eating food. Which was of course, all thanks to the boy.

"Have some turkey Grace."

"No thank you, I'm getting really full."

"Cmon G, have some. Just one bite, for me?"

Just like that, James had gotten Grace to eat a whole plate of food. He was proud of himself, that was for sure. Watching Grace get better was making the boy himself feel better too.

That night, after everyone had gone to bed, the two met up in the room of requirements as per the girl's request.

"I have a surprise for you," she said with a smile.

A while ago, James had told the girl about his favourite song, Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. It had taken Grace quite a few days to learn the song on the piano, but it was worth it.

"Sit next to me, and listen."

As soon as the song had started, James knew what it was. He could feel the tune running through his veins, his whole entire body. Like the only thing who could feel sense was the girl, and her fingers playing on the piano.

At one point, he felt like he was floating. High in the sky, he was the luckiest man to exist. Like if he was the on a broomstick, and he fell, he would still be okay. Because as long as he had Grace, right by his side, nothing would matter anymore.

"Grace, I— thank you," he said in shock.

"Merry Christmas James," she whispered.

For a moment, the two looked at each other with adoration present clearly on both their face. It was silent, but it was like a thousand words were spoken with just a look of their eyes.

James could see every single detail on her face right. The freckles on her skin, the blush rising up her cheeks, he could notice it all. To James, not even Lily had affected him this much. It was surprisingly, really.

When the kids had arrived at Kings Cross station, Grace had gone immediately still as soon as she had got out of the train. The air inside of her lungs, it ceased to exist.

"Grace."

And just like that, the girl could see her world crashing down. Her parents, they had never showed up in public with their daughter. But now, how could they show up so easily and greet her with everyone around them?

"Thats—"

"Mr.Nott," said Euphemia with shocked eyes.

The man grabbed Grace by her arm, tightly holding it in his hand with no intention of letting go. James could see the grimace on the girl's face, his patience running away and out of his mind.

"Excuse me," the boy said while taking Grace and putting her behind him.

"We are here to take our d—"

"I don't know who they are. Let's go, please."

James knew not to question the tension around them, this was not the best place to talk about such matters. So, without wasting another second, James took her hand in his and walked away from the scene with a glare towards the couple.

He had a hunch on what it was, but he didn't dare believe it. James knew to trust Grace, she had shown him how beautiful she was, inside and out. There was no way she could be remotely close to her parents, she was a Hufflepuff after all.

"It'll be fine G, don't worry about it."