TWO

- CHAPTER 2 -

❝Fuck off Mckinnon

Fuck off Mckinnon.

Hogwarts, sixth year.

WHEN HIS FRIENDS FIRST saw Grace, they had looked extremely confused. A brown haired girl, wearing a hufflepuff robe, standing next to the Potters?

"Who's this Prongs?"

It had taken the two brothers almost an hour to explain their friends about the whole situation. At the beginning, they were quite upset that the pair hadn't owled them about it at all. But slowly, they had started to understand how serious the matter actually was.

"I'm Grace, Grace Valdez."

Immediately after hearing their replies, Grace had said goodbye to all the people around her and went inside the train to find herself a compartment. Finding an empty one had been hard but once she did, the girl went straight inside and grabbed her book that she had always carried around with her.

Grace was getting to the saddest part when suddenly, the door to her compartment screeched open.

"Erm, can we sit here? Everywhere else is full."

James Potter was standing in an awkward position with his three friends trailing behind him. He had been the one voted off to open the door and speak up, unfortunately so.

"Yeah, come on in."

At first, the place was extremely quiet. Even Sirius Black, the loudest of them all had taken his time to stay silent. Grace had felt very uncomfortable, like she had interrupted an important meeting.

"Oh, what book are you reading?" asked Remus Lupin with curious eyes.

"Pride and Prejudice, it's my favourite one."

"Moony loves that book too, don't you Moony?" said Sirius Black with a proud smile.

From that point onwards, the group had started talking to each other about whatever they could think of. Even though James was really quiet, he still listened and talked as much as he could.

He was still not over his feelings, something he was started to hate. Most days James would think, am I really that weak?

"Why aren't you sitting with your friends?" asked Peter.

"Erm, we aren't on the best terms right now," she replied nervously.

Peter had seen the girl with her two friends before, Anna and Evan. They had looked really close, but suddenly they were not. His curiosity had almost eaten him alive, right before he asked that question.

When they arrived at Hogwarts, the group started to leave the train one by one. Grace was about to head out too when suddenly, she had felt her arm being dragged back by someone else.

"Grace, can I talk to you?" asked James with hesitation.

"What's wrong James?"

"Erm, it's just that I want to apologise for my behaviour. I'm not in the best place right now, so i'm sorry if I seem a bit too harsh, or something."

Grace was confused, that was for sure. The whole time that she had been at the Potters, James was extremely kind. He just didn't talk much, thats all.

"Oh, James you—"

"Found yourself another girlfriend Potter?"

Marlene Mckinnon had forgotten her bag in the train, so she went back inside to fetch it. The girl was about to reach her compartment when her eyes had swept over James and a Hufflepuff, talking with hushed whispers.

At first, Marlene had almost walked away. But then, she remembered that Lily and him had broken up. Marlene was annoyed for her friend, she just had to intervene.

Grace had decided to stay quiet. But when she had seen the look on the boy's face, she just couldn't stop herself from defending him, instead of staying silent.

"Fuck off Mckinnon."

What she had said surprised them all. Grace was a Hufflepuff, they were meant to be sweet and kind. However, what most people don't realise is that Hufflepuffs have feelings too. And sometimes, their feelings just get the best of them.

Marlene Mckinnon rolled her eyes and huffed at the two before walking away. Right after she was gone, James let out a detached sigh and apologised to the girl as much as he could.

"I don't know what happened between you all, but you gotta move on James. Life doesn't give you second chances, enjoy it while you can. Plus, you look really really constipated when you're upset."

Looking at the empty spot, where Grace had once been, James let out a tiny smile. All this time, his friends would treat him like fragile glass. This was the first time someone had actually told him to move on, to do better things.

James had wanted to move on, he really did. But how easy can it be to move on from someone who you've loved for the past 6 years? He would've gone back to his usual self, the lovesick James Potter.

However, finding out that Lily's feelings had not changed, even after dating for three months, the boy had given up. He didn't want to force her onto the feelings that didn't even exist, he had to stop once and for all.

"Planning on studying in the train mate?"