TWENTY-THREE

- CHAPTER 23 -

❝Aren't you scared?❞

Aren't you scared?

Summer break.

HER ROOM WAS GLOOMY AND DARK, not even the lights around her could brighten everything up. When the clock struck twelve, nothing had changed.

In the past, immediately after it would be the 6th of August, Grace would be surrounded by gifts and shouts from her older brother. But now, it was the exact opposite.

They hadn't even held a conversation for more than ten seconds, or looked at each other in the eyes for more than three. It was like they had met for the first time, they were absolute strangers.

"You are to spend time with Alex Thompson, is that clear?"

There it was again, her parents trying to set her up with someone just like them. Grace had of course, protested as much as she could. But now, did her opinions really matter at all?

"Let's go this way."

Fortunately for Grace, Alex Thompson was a rather quiet boy, much like herself. She had hated talking to her family, so it was extremely difficult for her to talk to him.

"Are you feeling alright?"

"I'm fine."

Alex knew the look that was on the girl's face, he would see it in the mirror himself every single day. The look that held disappointment, anger and sadness, all in one.

What choice did the kids really have? The sacred twenty eight, they wouldn't even bat an eyelid if their kids were to be murdered in front of their own two eyes.

Thats how they were. Cruel, horrible, and absolutely terrifying.

"Do you ever miss James?"

"What?"

"James, do you miss him?"

To be asked such a question, Grace had never expected it. Especially from someone like Alex, but did she really know him at all?

Whenever the two would meet up, their time would be consumed by an awkward silence. The only words that would be exchanged between them would be out of pleasantries, nothing more than that.

"I have a partner too you know, and that's not even the worst part. He's a fucking boy Grace, a boy," he said with an amused smile.