Chapter 2: Return

After a long tiring day at work, every normal human anticipates leaving the office premises and cuddle in the warmth of their loved ones

It wasn't the same for me.

After a long day at work, I made sure I carry a few piles of work home along with tons of emails that rested in my mail box. Reason? To avoid the evil people call 'overthinking'.

Scrolling through the emails, I made sure my entire concentration was on the subject lying infront of me, rather than the absence of even a single soul in the condo, except me.

Breaking my trance, my phone blared into life.

Dada saheb calling..

It displayed. I was still in the haze of wine that I consumed recklessly after dinner. I could only hope not to slur on the phone.

Tapping my cheeks twice, I made sure he could not guess if I was intoxicated.

"Pranam, Dada saheb." I monotonously uttered.

(Greetings, Grandpa.)

Inspite of being a huge pillar of support in my life, Dada saheb and I had a very formal relation. Not because of the generation gap, but because of the values that were inculcated in the males of our clan. The prominent one among them being: "Not to trust or show your emotions to anyone. Not even your better half."

"Bless you, Sanskriti." His dominancy dripped voice boomed across the cellphone.

"How have you been, child?" He asked me.

"I have been fine, Dada saheb." Liar.

"How about you? Are you feeling better now?" I asked him.

"I am feeling as good as a 80 year old man could feel." He said. That's the maximum level of humour he could serve you.

"You aren't any old man, Dada saheb. You still look as good as new." I said only to hear him chuckle softly and his chuckle turning into fits of cough.

"Anyways.. I called you this late at night for a reason." He started.

"I want you to come back to Udaipur by the end of this week." He said making my heart beat race up.

"But Dada-" he cut me off.

"I have never once asked you to come back in the past ten years, Sanskriti. If I do now, you should understand it's something undeniable." He took a deep breathe.

"Your sister, Meera, is no more."
~•~•~

That's what it took to make me sit on an 5 hour long flight, return back to Udaipur.

Looking out of the window, I started wondering, about what Dada saheb told me.

"Meera committed suicide last night. Your parents are devasted. So are the Rathores. Especially, Ragini. We all need you here."