Chapter 6: Staying Back

"Vedansh

"Vedansh."

I heard the roar of the familiar husky voice I dreaded the most.

I had practically ignored the factor that I might have to face him if I come to Jaipur. I thought I would get some mental peace if I neglect the thoughts of possibilities of crossing my paths with him.

"Dadda!" Vedansh had a sudden upliftment in spirits. He stood up from the ground and sprinted off into the palace.

Getting up, I dusted my clothes too. My throat was dry and so were my lips. My stomach churned in anticipation and my heart rate was furious.

I had always imagined re-facing him someday and already practiced scenarios of all the savage statements I could greet him with. But facing the reality was far from my imagination. At this moment, I want nothing more than getting back to Java.

I promise I would never whine about my solitude. Bas iss baar bachalo, Krishna ji!

Was the only sentence I constantly recited to the almighty.

"Papa! I want you to meet Angel!" As soon as I heard Vedansh sprouting these words, I turned on my heels and did the most stupid thing I could think of. I ran off to hide behind one of the bushes. Yeah.

"How many times have I told you not to talk to strangers, champ?" I heard him ask Vedansh. My heart clinched at his voice.

I missed him. I missed him a lot.

On one hand, I wanted nothing more than to run across the corridors and pounce into his warm embrace. My safe zone. My comfort person. My home. Give him another chance to explain his perspective from a decade ago. Answers to his betrayal.

On the other hand, I wished to slap him across his face, and fled away to Antartica and live among the penguins. I could just go on fishing to keep myself alive and live in igloos. Even though I am Vegetarian.

"She isn't a stranger Papa! She's Par Dadu and Par Dadi's guest!" Vedansh whined to his father.

"Par Dadi hugged her and cried too! Can you believe it? Jo Par Dadi sabko rulati hai aaj unko Angel ne rula diya?" He giggled at the last.

(She made Great Grandma cry, the same woman who makes other cry!)

"She even calls Par Dadi 'Lady Don' and Par Dadi calls her 'Laado'!" He explained.

For any other person in the Rathore and Chauhan family, this description was enough to make them guess who I was. But for him, it was next to impossible.

"But.. where has she gone?" Vedansh mumbled in confusion as he scanned the garden to find my trace.

"Angel! Angel!" He began calling me out loud as he ran around the garden like maniacs. As much as I wanted to answer him, I couldn't let him know I was here. Not now atleast. I wasn't ready yet.