Chapter 23: Insecurities

Don't forget to read the Author's note at the end of this chapter

The orange hue adorned the dusking sky as the sun retired home to his loved ones.

"Papa?" Vedansh softly whispered as Arunaditya tucked him into his bed.

"Hmm?" He hummed in reply, placing the pillows beside him so that he doesn't land on the ground when he decides to roll over in his sleep.

"Mumma will never leave us right?" He asked. Arunaditya furrowed his eyebrows at his innocent question. His son was insecure, all thanks to Meera.

"Ofcourse not, sweetheart. Why would mumma leave?" He asked. "Why would you think so?"

"Because I am clinging a lot on mumma." He whispered out. He was scared. He was scared of Sanskriti leaving him because he irritated her with his presence. He felt like she was one of the best thing that life happened to gift him. After years of craving, he finally got a mother. A mother who acted like one.

Arunaditya heaved a sigh.

"Come with me." He softly commanded his son. Vedansh agreed wordlessly. Giving him a piggyback ride, Arunaditya dropped him near Sanskriti, on their bed.

Sanskriti was engrossed in one of her files when she felt the bed dip with a thud. Looking up from her glasses, he saw a gloomy looking Vedansh and a distressed Arunaditya.

"Why are my favourite boys looking like they were forced to eat Karela in their deserts?" She asked. Arunaditya rolled his eyes at her antics.

(Bitter Gourd)

"Ask mumma the question you were asking me." He nudged Vedansh. It seemed pretty serious. Sanskriti kept her file and her glasses aside and cuddled Vedansh in a half-laying position.

"Mumma am I clingy? Am I irritating you? Would you leave me?" He bombarded his questions with his teary eyes. Sanskriti's eyebrows furrowed in response.

"Have I ever made you feel unwanted, little lion?" Sanskriti cross questioned him. She was afraid of not being a good mother to the little soul.

"No." He quickly shook his head. "Then why would you ask me? Why would I ever feel my best Buddy to be clingy? Why would my most adorable, handsome, cool son be irritating to me? Why would I leave you baby?"

Vedansh seemed to be in deep thoughts as he snuggled more into Sanskriti's chest. Taking a seat quitely beside them, Arunaditya too snuggled into his little family.

"I love you, mumma." He whispered out. "I can't live without you. Never." His words felt heavy. Sanskriti wondered if she deserved such pure love.

That's when the little soul made her realise, she was worthy of every bit of love she was recieving. Being born out of her father's affair with his maid, wasn't her mistake. Not being accepted by the Chauhans wasn't her mistake either. Being naive and falling into her half-sister's trap wasn't again her fault.

If not the Chauhans, she was a legal and legitimate part of the Rathores. If not a legitimate daughter, she was a legitimate mother and a legal wife. She was no more going to sulk over her past. It wasn't her mistake. She wasn't going to let others punish her for something she never did.

Pressing a gentle kiss on her son's head, she got up. Vedansh snuggled into his father this time who caged him in his hand tighter, caressing his head gently. Getting another pillow out of the cupboard, she placed it between her's and Arunaditya's.

"We'll be having a sleepover today." She announced.

"And a movie too?" Vedansh meekly asked. She nodded in Positive. "A movie too."

As the movie Ratatouille played on the screen, Arunaditya found his wife and his son gazing intently at the telivision. A small smile slipped on his lips as he sent a quick prayer to never let his family break apart. He thanked the almighty fot everything he was blessed with, despite of the struggles he had to endure.

"Papa? Why do you smell like mumma?" His son asked innocently, making him widen his eyes. He couldn't answer him about how his parents had sex on the same bed a while ago, basking themselves in similar scents of each other's cologne, condom's flavoured scent and sex, could he?

"I used her perfume." Was the only thing he could mutter.

The next morning came by as the Rathores gathered around the dining table for breakfast.

"Mumma can you share your perfume with me too?" He asked all of sudden making Arunaditya choke on his food as Sanskriti furrowed her eyebrows at his question.

"My perfume?" She asked. Vedansh nodded his head innocently. "The strawberry one. Papa said he smelt like strawberry because he used your perfume." He said. Not knowing what it could lead to.

"I don't have a single strawberry perfume, Adi. What smell is Ansh talking about?" She narrowed her eyes at her husband. Arunaditya's eyes widened as he quickly shook his head at his wife's greater misunderstanding.

He leaned into Sanskriti's ear and whispered, "it's the protection's smell we used last evening." It was Sanskriti's turn to adapt a hue of crimson as her eyes widened. Arunaditya smirked at her response. "You didn't even bother to clean up?" She whisper-screamed. "Excuse me. He smelt it from you too." Sanskriti turned quite at his accusation. She was too tired and the water was cold too last night. She convinced herself.

Clearing her throat, she answered back to Vedansh. "How about you use my coconut scent? That smells better. Okay?" She asked. Vedansh agreed after looking at his parents with scruntizing gaze.

What's wrong with them now? He thought.

On the other hand, the Rathores were busy covering their laughs.

"Anyways, Ruhi and Abhi will be coming home by tonight. They'll be accompanied by Ruhi's boyfriend too." Ranj Sa informed about her children's arrival.

Ruhani Rathore and Abhiraaj Rathore had been away since they were in grade one.

"Ruhi bua would be coming home? Yay!" Vedansh seemed excited about their arrival.

Except for them being a part of Rathores, Sanskriti knew nothing about Ruhani and Abhiraaj, the royal twins.

Little did they know, the return of twins would only bring a huge hurricane in their lives.

~•~•~•~

Climax coming up.

The story is going to come to and end soon. ☹️ About 10 chapters left.
I'll miss updating this daily.

As for the next book, do you want me to right something contemporary or another Royal family saga, maybe with Vedansh as the lead role?

Do lemme know.