Chapter 27

27: Gege Hung Up

Life was great for Lin Miao. Her thoughts were simple, after all, she used to live in the mountains and had few friends at her school. She didn't have many complex relationships with the people at the Yu family, either.

So, Lin Miao's sadness caused by being separated from the Young Master soon dissipated.

Lin Miao's father returned home before dinner.

Lin Miao's mother peeked out of the kitchen, "What happened at the construction site?"

"A worker got in a fight with his wife. The other workers weren't able to stop them so they called me in case accidents happen." Since there were two children beside them, the father didn't say any more.

Whatever. He returned, so it must be alright, Lin Miao's mother thought.

Lin Miao and her younger brother helped bring the dishes onto the table.

It was an exceptional meal for Lin Miao: the table was full of dishes she loved, and she didn't have to care about dining etiquette.

At night, Lin Miao's mother went to sleep with Lin Miao.

She had often shared a bed with her mother at the village. She only had her own bedroom when she was working; it was hard to get used to at first.

Lin Miao enthusiastically told her mother how the Young Master taught her English and Chinese.

Lin Miao's mother listened and knew that she took the Young Master as a real older brother, like how the Young Master was sincerely kind to Lin Miao. She patted her head, "I'll bring you to the city to visit your Gege in the future."

She didn't know when this future would be.

Lin Miao soon fell asleep in her mother's arms. She had a sound night free of nightmares.

It wasn't just her who didn't have any nightmares, her mother was the same. It was her first peaceful night in ages.

Lin Miao's house was on the third floor. They were in an old neighbourhood without elevators so there were quite a few neighbours. Since they were very close to the school, there were many other families with children renting houses with the same goal as Lin Miao's parents. It was winter break, so all of the children were at home. The school nearby was an elementary school, so everyone was roughly Lin Miao's age.

Lin Miao had become familiar with the other kids in only a few days.

Of course, Lin Miao was very busy so she couldn't play with them all the time. Even though she was the youngest in the group, she was the only one who came back from the city, so they wanted to invite her to play badminton at the school. Lin Miao couldn't go, not because she didn't know how, but mainly because she was returning to the village in the New Year to worship her ancestors.

Her brother's health wasn't very good. He couldn't walk far, so he would be staying at home.

Her brother was only 6, so her mother was staying to accompany her brother.

Lin Miao and her father returned to the village by themselves.

Lin Miao carried her candies with her. She promised her buddies, and she kept her promises.

Her dad soon took her backpack. He was also carrying everything they needed for their worshipping.

Lin Miao was breathing heavily as she walked on the familiar paths, but she was also very happy, it was her birthplace!

She used to walk on this path everyday!

They heard a dog barking before reaching the village gate.

And saw a majestic yellow dog and Lin Miao's eyes lit up, "Weifeng!"