Chapter 48

48: That is Her Friend

Lin Miao's mother soon appeared and sat down next to her.

She had taken note of everything that happened today.

Lin Miao embraced her mother, "Mommy."

Her voice choked with sobs. Maybe it's the norm here. She was confused to the point of not knowing how her life should be when she grows up.

Her heart was filled with sorrow. Sadness would surge through her body whenever she thought of Xiao Mei and her child hurrying away.

"I know it must be hard for Shuishui to accept this, but this is how girls from villages are." Lin Miao's mother patted Lin Miao's head, "The parents want a boy, and they want their children to be like them when they grow up."

Lin Miao's tears rushed down her cheeks.

"But I don't want this." It became apparent to her that her childhood days were long gone.

Lin Miao's mother sighed. All the girls in the village were kind children, they were great friends to Lin Miao.

Lin Miao grew up in the town as her parents used to work there. She only came to the village when she grew a bit older.

All of the girls other than Little Ling were older than Lin Miao. Lin Miao used to be short and skinny, and since she came from the town, everyone took her as their younger sister.

Lin Miao once said that Golden Gong sausages were delicious, but the village's stores didn't offer them.

So, when they went to the town's pharmacy to sell the leaves of the japanese honeysuckle, they each took one Yuan and bought a sausage together for Lin Miao.

Lin Miao's mother let out another sigh. "This is why you need to work hard. Don't let your next generation live this kind of life."

At the end of the day, Lin Miao was still without an answer. She wanted to visit Little Ling.

Out of all her friends at the village, her age gap with Little Ling was the smallest. In fact, Little Ling was even a bit younger than her.

Little Ling was the girl who didn't want to be adopted.

Lin Miao took out her presents and headed for her house on the edge of the village.

Lin Miao and her friends mostly gathered around Lin Miao's and the village head's houses. Little Ling's second uncle didn't look welcoming, so they rarely went to her house.

When she arrived, she discovered that Little Ling wasn't home. Her second uncle and aunt welcomed her warmly, "Shuishui is quite promising."

Lin Miao was stunned. She had never seen LIttle Ling's second uncle and aunt smile so brilliantly before.

Beside them, Little Ling's brother gathered all of the candy and fruits Lin Miao brought beside him and started eating.

"Second uncle, is Little Ling not home?" Lin Miao asked.

"She went to her mother-in-law's house." The aunt said.

Lin Miao was astonished. Yesterday, during dinner, she had only heard that Little Ling had agreed to marry. She didn't think that she had already married.

"Where's her in-law's house? I want to visit her." Lin Miao was clueless about when she would come to the village again. She was afraid that everything would change next time she returned.

"She married very far away. It might take her a few days to come back." The second aunt said. "Shuishui, where's your dad working? Is it okay for him to take care of Zhiqiang for a bit? His studies aren't good, but he's a really hard worker."