Test Results

Onlookers want to roll their eyes at Nicole's and alex's PDA, but Nicole is too preoccupied with the physical exam to care about what people think. She's so nervous, she has lost her appetite. After a few bites of food, she feels full.

John approaches Alex,  "Sir, DR Meyer has been waiting for you at St. Meyer Hospital for a while."

Nicole pauses in the middle of wiping her mouth with a napkin. She realizes she's finally run out of time: there is no escape from the physical examination.

The drive to the hospital is idyllic. As the car winds down the mountain, it passes old chinar trees growing on both sides of the road. Their leaves rustle and shake when the wind blows, but Nicole is too unhappy to appreciate the beauty.

The hospital is situated at the foot of the mountain. Alex's car descends from the zig-zag mountain path followed by dozens of cars filled with bodyguards. Nurses and patients pause to watch the ostentatious arrival.

"It's impossible to avoid drawing attention when Alex insists on traveling like this," Nicole thinks ruefully.

Alex's car pulls up to the front entrance where a middle-aged man with gray hair and a white coat waits with several dozen white-uniformed nurses. St. Meyer Hospital has a long-standing reputation as one of the finest hospitals in the world. Celebrities and royalty frequent the hospital with great regularity but few receive personal welcomes from Dr Meyer himself.

Alex parks his dark Ferrari by the entrance. He emerges from the vehicle and Nicole follows reluctantly.

Dr Meyer sees Alex and comes forward to greet him, "Hello, Alex."

"Hello, Dr Meyer."

Dr Meyer nods with a welcoming smile and casts a look at Nicole. She stands slightly behind Alex and she looks miserable. He has met her before but only briefly, and he's curious to see the woman who has caused such trouble for his son and his hospital.

"How do you do, Dr Meyer?" she says politely.

"Please come in. We'll talk on the way to my office," he says.

Dr. Meyer turns to lead the way and an entourage of doctors and nurses follow him. Alex's bodyguards trail behind the group. As they march through the hospital, bystanders are forced to press themselves against the walls to make room for the crowd in the corridors. Young nurses and female patients stand aside and gape, and a few try to take sneak pictures with their phones.

"Oh my God, that man is really really handsome," says one nurse.

"Yes, he's even s.e.xier than Dr. Meyer jnr," says a female patient with a giggle.

"Where is Dr. Meyer jnr?" asks another patient, "I haven't seen him today."

"He has surgery all day, arranged by the Dr snr. I feel like he treats Conrad like he's not his own son," says the nurse.

The cl.u.s.ter of women is still whispering heatedly when a large figure appears before them. A hulking bodyguard glares down at them, blocking some of the light.

"Please hand over the phone," he commands.

"What phone?" asks a nurse.

"The phone you used to take pictures of Mr. Romano."

The nurse who took Alex's picture is indignant, "Why the hell do you want to take it?"

Dr Meyer sighs as her voice echoes through the hall, "I apologize on behalf of my staff. Clearly, we need more comprehensive training here."

Alex says nothing. This happens almost every time he goes out in public, and he knows his bodyguards will take care of deleting the images. They continue down the corridor and stop in front of the laboratory. Alex places his hand on Nicole's waist and steers her into the room.