New Matriarch

Gabriela feels like her head might explode. Before she can think things through, she crosses the room and shoves David off of Nicole. Frantically, she begins digging through the medical kit.

"I don't buy it," Gabriela says, "Taking a pulse is not an accurate way to determine pregnancy. Take the pregnancy test out."

Gabriela's frantic move doesn't frighten Nicole. She gives David a grateful look and feels a weight easing from her chest.

"Is David helping me?" Nicole wonders, "I deliberately disclosed my torment to him because I know he's loyal to Alex. I was hoping he'd help me, but I never expected that he'd go this far for me. Though this is only a makeshift plan, it's a good one. David must know that pregnancy is the only thing that can change Snr Romano's mind. The only downside is explaining that it was all a lie to Alex when he comes back—he'll be so disappointed."

This last thought brings a sharp pang of pain with it. Nicole freezes suddenly, shocked by her own thoughts.

"What am I doing?" she wonders, "Am I really upset that I'm not actually having a child with Alex? I need to get it together."

"Miss Montez, are you unhappy with Dr. Walter's diagnosis?" Nicole asks.

David takes the medical kit from Gabriela.

"I'm not unhappy," she said quickly, "I just think this sort of news is far too important to risk any inaccuracy, and a pregnancy test is the only way to really be sure.                       

Don't you agree with me, Dr. Walter?"

David nods reluctantly.

"Yes, we can't hear the fetus accurately when it is too small," he says, "The most reliable method is the HCG blood test, but the urination test is the best in the absence of the equipment for the HCG."

"Get someone to buy one," Gabriela commands.

"There's no need," David says, "I have a spare one."

David opens the medical kit and takes the pregnancy test out. He offers it to Nicole. Nicole hesitates for a moment and then takes it.

"Come on, go to the toilet," Gabriela says, twisting her hands impatiently, "Why are you hesitating? Are you guilty of something perhaps?"

"Go already!" Mrs. Candela Romano commands, desperate to know the truth.

Nicole tightens her fist around the stick. She recalls David's assuring look and forces herself to calmly walk to the toilet. When she emerges from the bathroom, she passes the stick of David. He stares at it and his shoulders tense. Gabriela strides across the room and tries to read the results.

"Two lines," he said gravely, "That means that Mrs. Romano is pregnant."

Gabriela's face looks desperate and stricken. She takes a step back. Then she steps forward and grabs the test from him. Her look darkens when she sees the lines for herself. She knows it's almost impossible to fool this kind of pregnancy test. Nicole is really pregnant.

"If Nicole is pregnant, everything will change," Gabriela thinks with panic, "Nicole will get priority again, and I'll go back to being a nobody."

Mrs. Candela's hand begins to shake. It's only a matter of time before her husband finds out and insists she treats Nicole with the utmost respect. Within minutes, a maid rushes in carrying a phone.

"Mrs. Candela, it's your husband," the maid announces.

It's a brief conversation. After hanging up, Mrs. Candela gives Nicole a grudging look.