$ 2 $

I spent another hour sitting on the park bench, lost in my solitary thoughts. Along with working in a cafe and library, I also teach cello classes for young children as a part-time music teacher. I owe thanks to my mom for sharing her musical talent with me, which I am now able to use to earn a living.

The good news is that I have no Cello class or library job for the night. I am free for the rest of the day and plan to spend my time reading News articles about my childhood crush. He was appointed as the CEO of Martinez Enterprises five years ago, and every article describes his talent, tactics, and success in beating his rivals. I was particularly interested in the article from last month, which stated: Mr. Adrian Martinez is planning to launch his new company in Italy.

I wonder if he is planning to move there, permanently.

I tend to resolve my worries immediately, but I do not want to appear desperate. So. Despite my curiosity, I refrain from calling Aliyah to ask her about it. I need a distraction from my infatuation with AM. Well, a cool short form for Adrian Martinez.

I cannot help but wonder why he did not approach me directly instead of sending Aliyah to present his proposal.

Meanwhile, my mobile pinged with a text message from Uncle Kushwant. Uncle Kushwant has been my neighbor for ten years. A very loyal, lovable, and caring man. Though he is my neighbor, I feel him to be my family. He is an Indian Chef and works in a multi-cuisine restaurant. I am lucky that he is my neighbor, or I would have missed his Indian dishes. Of all, he supported us mentally when my mom's incident happened. Even he lost his wife and has a daughter and a son. Both are married and settled in different cities.

Uncle Kush: You promised to have lunch with me.

I snickered at his text. I hardly get any free time and whatever I get he tries to make the time worthwhile to me. I stood on foot and walked to my scooter. After I started the scooter, I made my way to my home.

***

My father opened the door after twenty seconds of me banging the door. His eyes were red which showed him to be a chronic alcohol addict. His gait is a bit swaying. As I was a kid, I was told that I had my dad's eyes. Big, round, hazel eyes. And like other girls, my dad was my favorite hero. It makes me sad to see him broken and lost.

"Wash your hands, and come soon." I heard an extremely exciting voice from Uncle Kush coming from the kitchen.

"Coming," I shouted and removed my heels after hanging my sling bag on the hanger beside the door along with my scooter keys.

We have a small house. A large living room, a small kitchen with a four-chair dining table, two bedrooms, and an attic.

I went to the kitchen, cleaned my hands, and next filled a glass with tap water. While placing the glass on the table, my eyes landed on a small rectangular paper that was hidden under the vase.

I pulled it and discovered it to be a cheque. A blank cheque was signed under the name...Adrian Martinez?

I darted my gaze at my father, "What is this cheque doing here?"

His eyes widened with surprise. "Hmm...Jazmine!" His eyes landed on the cheque then shifted to me. Even though he worked hard to hide it, I ruled out that he was scared of something. I hope he didn't create any mess which has already disesteemed me. "Aliyah's brother came this morning." It speeded the work of my heart.

"Adrian..." I wet my lips, "Aliyah's elder brother, you mean?" I probed and he nodded his head. And then it confirmed the signature on the cheque is of Adrian Martinez. "What did he say to you?"