$ 5 $

I better thought to avoid salt in my food the last night. And had a couple of muffins for breakfast this morning. Claver requested to have breakfast with him as my job is going to end in his cafe that day. Aliyah wanted to pick me up but I opted to drive by myself with my scooter.

And here I am in front of the glassy, elegant, fifteen-store building of Martinez Construction. I rode my scooter inside the parking lot. The slender, tall, and thin-figured guard gave me a strange and quirky look, which I apprehended and replied, "I was not delivered from my mother's womb with a silver spoon in my mouth!" Still, his look hadn't changed a bit. But he directed me to a pillar, which was at the very end of the parking hall.

Ok! Atleast I got a place to park my scooter. While I was parking my scooter, an orange Range Rover came and halted beside my white scooter. Well, the owner seemed to be extremely happy. My annoying BFF.

"Jaz! You look like a sexy Barbie." And she probed me further by waggling her brows, "Is it to impress Adrian?" She named her brother the way I did a week ago. Well, that was the first time I called Adrian in front of her instead of your brother. His name itself sounds so sexy that I love calling it again and again.

"I wore this dress atleast six times and today is the seventh time."

"Even though, you look sexy." her eyes stopped at my belly. "Especially, this space between your blouse and skirt," she pinched the skin of my waist and barrelled away. Everything is fun for Aliyah.

Ok. A small confession. I hadn't slept well for the last two days because of anxiety to face the CEO of Martinez Constructions and also the turmoil about what to wear on my first day. I don't have any intention to impress him but I just have a feeling to appear presentable. So, I ended up wearing one of my best outwear. A white blouse and a purple skirt.

We stepped inside the building which reminded me of our first day at University. She kept babbling about her excitement regarding work. "You knew right, how much I hated studying. Now we can frequently go to clubs, dinners, and even..." She cut off as her eyes landed on a handsome man in front of us. Her jaw dropped and her eyes popped out of her sockets. Yet a silly beam was taking place on her face, which revealed excellently in her eyes.

Well, well, well. Who do we have here?

"Duke!" I exclaimed not in a whisper but in a voice enough for him to hear. He threw a smile in our direction and walked to us.

"Hey!" he told me and then to Aliyah "Hi, Aliyah!" If Aliyah says that eyes show everything then I assume she is true. I could see shyness in his eyes and that Hi was also different.

I tapped her shoulder, "we should get going."

While walking towards the elevator, she warned me to stand at another corner of the lift far away from them as she wanted to have space. Before we stepped out of the elevator on the tenth floor, I pulled her close and whispered, "What is he doing here?"

"I don't know. And I have nothing to do with it." I raised my brow and threw a look of suspicion at her. "My brothers don't even consider my advice while selecting their socks, do you think they will hire the interns based on me? Come on Jaz, they don't want to shut down Martinez Constructions."

"Ok, I believe you."

Another intern was wearing big fat glasses present in the meeting room already. "Christ!" he introduced himself and forwarded his hand for a shake.

I took his hand and added, "Jazmine!"

"My favorite flower," he replied with a bright smile.

"Really. And mine too," Ali added and took his hand for a shake, "Before you flirt with her, remember that her best friend is here." He pulled his hand out of her grip and ran his hand through his hair. If Aliyah keeps being possessive then I doubt she will ever have Duke in her life. And people will tag us as hashtag lesbians.

"So, my interns have already arrived." Came a thick and sonorous voice of a man. He looked in his early thirties and colorful framed glasses rested on the bridge of his nose. He wore a sky-blue button-up and a black tie. Of all, he has a pretty smile. "And I am Andy Lawrance. Your manager and Mr. Adrian Martinez's assistant. Let's have a quick introduction."

After we introduced ourselves, he continued, "And, you four will work as an intern for one year in Martinez Construction. You all will help with project planning, and developing drawings and specifications for the concept through the final design. Also, assist in construction administration and site observation. So, are you all excited."

"Yes!" Aliyah yelled embarrassing herself. He smiled at her and then looked at us.

"Mr. Martinez will give you all your first tasks. He will be here in any minute." Simultaneously the door was pulled open and the actual throbbing in my heart had begun when I perceived who just stepped inside the room. "And here he is."

I inhaled his fragrance when he walked past me like a gust of wind. He stood in front of the presentation screen and presented a small speech, "Welcome to Martinez Constructions. I am Adrian Martinez, CEO of Martinez constructions"

"Thank you, Mr. Martinez!" That came from everyone except me. It's getting awkward, uncomfortable, and even embarrassing. I shouldn't have taken this job but I hadn't gotten any approval other than from this company. Jaz! You have no option but to gather yourself and give your best.

"Let me give a short intro about everyone." I heard Andy's voice, but I still stuck my gaze on the table. "This is Chris, Duke, Aliyah, and-"

"Andy let's skip this and let's get to the important matter," Adrian cut him off, instantly, which made me snap my head and glowered at him. That interruption was not normal. He didn't want to hear my name. "Here, he directed a pointer towards the screen behind him and tilted his body a little. "I am going to hand you all a new project. You all will make designs in these five days and present them next Monday as on Tuesday we will be displaying the designs to our client. But only the best design will be taken into consideration." His eyes one after the other landed on everyone, but not on Jazmine, whose name he was least interested in getting to know. I knew that we met already and we had known each other for a long time. But it doesn't mean that he behaves like an antagonist.

"It's a small jungle-like land, our client wants to make two farmhouses here and also wants to retain the trees, and that's the challenging part of this project." Currently, I paid attention to the presentation he was giving us. It was a land full of trees and how the hell will one build a farmhouse when it is completely covered with tall and thick trees?

"Excuse me, Mr. Martinez, the land is completely covered with trees and how will it be possible-"

And he cut me off, still not sparing a glimpse at me, "Any questions of yours will be clarified by Andy after the presentation," and in this way, he belittled me by giving me a go-by. I balled my fists, controlling my building-up rage on him.

I apprehended that he was giving me a cold shoulder. And though I consoled myself that it doesn't matter and I give a shit, if he glances at me or not. But...It...did matter. "That's all for today." And he walked out of the room using the same path he used while walking in and also at the same speed.

Andy did clear my doubts after he left. And then he showed us a cube where our four tables with laptops and screens were set on them. We sat according to the names. "I sent you all in the mail the land pictures. But after lunch, we will visit the land so that you all can have the idea of making the floor plan. So, you guys are free before the lunch."

We all sat on the tables according to the label placed on it. It is a square-shaped room with four tables, two in one corner and two in the other. Mine was beside Duke, and poor Christ's was beside Aliyah's.

We four chitter-chatter for another two hours, sharing our University moments. Only Christ was an outsider to us, as we three passed out from the same Uni. Well, Duke's grades were excellent for all four. Maybe that's the reason he got placement in Martinez Constructions but who selected me? And why did they select me? Why? Just why?

To get a cold shoulder from my ex-childhood crush.