$ 3 $

As he stepped into his living room, I took a deep breath, which swirled the scent of lavender in my nares. I closed my eyes and savored the presence of Adrian behind me. The man I had a crush on, for twelve years is behind me. I felt no less than the die-heart fanning getting the opportunity to see his favorite actor. I recalled all those memories, I had with him. I recalled how hideously I collected his pictures from magazines and newspapers to hide them under my dresses in my closet.

However, my focus soon shifted to my outfit; a chic off-shoulder polka dot dress paired with white sneakers.

I didn't come here seeking his approval; I already knew I was the best. Confidence is key, and I am confident in myself.

I turned around and let my eyes land on him.

As I glanced at him, I couldn't help but feel amazed by his appearance. He appeared more handsome in person than he did in his pictures. However, there was an awkward silence between us that I couldn't quite understand. I felt like I had lost my ability to speak, but I couldn't tell if he felt the same way. I tried to read his expression but found myself staring at the ground instead. As I clenched my fists, the crumb of cheque squeezed in my fists...instantly, I remembered the reason for my visit, and the aroma between us altered.

"D...did you visit my dad today?" I asked, my eyes fixed on the floor, between our feet.

"Yes." he hissed which felt nothing but a seduction to my ears. His voice suddenly made me frail.

However, I continued.

I straightened the paper crumb and flagged the check in front of his eyes. "Do you have any answer to your low-grade action? What did you think, you will put my rate in front of my father and bribe him so that he can let me marry you? I had no knowledge you could go that low with your thoughts. "

"Mind your language, Miss Garcia."

"And you mind your manners, Mr. Martinez. You might be rich enough to buy anything or anyone while I am independent enough to live a prosperous life for myself. If you want to buy a wife then go but don't mess with me. And I will never marry a man like you. Who thinks money is all he needs to live a life."

I tore the cheque and threw pieces at him. The astonishment was no more layering his eyes but wrath. He glared at the pieces, now distributed on the floor, and then swerved at me.

"What the hell is this?" he barked. He took a step closer to me. My heart increased its beat, then raced like a horse. "Apologies for what you said."

I took multiple steps backward and shook my head, "you deserve a proper reply." I responded immediately and whirled. If I didn't escape from there, I would lose my courage.

I was on my way to approach the elevator when I got whirled forcibly to face a red, heated face of Adrian. Grabbing me by my shoulders he nailed me against the wall beside the elevator.

"Today. You crossed your limits, you foolish girl?" he yelled in my face.

Foolish girl!

I narrowed my brows and demanded, "How dare you?"

"Shut up!" I flinched at his sudden outburst, fire was igniting from those emerald-green eyes. "You just ignited a fire by messing with Adrian Martinez. And soon you are going to regret it, Miss Jazmine Garcia."

The pain I was receiving from my arms discontinued as soon as he left my shoulder. Then he turned around and escaped from the passageway like a gust of wind.

*****

Yet, I reached the ground floor... I stood inside the elevator, hearing those ding, ding voices of it. I stood like a mannequin, trying to establish, what all happened ten minutes ago outside his penthouse.