chapter one

FEW MONTHS AGO

I went back and forth between a few rows in the library, where I usually found something new to read. My main preoccupation was anything to do with psychology and criminology. There was only one problem, many books were missing in this library, which was not part of the academy.

I needed those books to actually read something new, because most of what was on the shelves was a foundation for what was to be read. The criminology exam starts soon. I only have enough time to prepare if I can find some books that have more photos and do not skimp on details.

I felt like a moth, I had not left the row in three hours. I was thirsty, a little hungry, and frustrated because I had read all the books on this shelf before. Or maybe they are in my apartment with all the other classics.

No one went to that part of the library, almost everyone was in row 4 and 5 where there were romance novels, books that had been made into movies.

But soon I saw a tall figure coming toward me. I do not know if I was relieved that someone was visiting this section, or if I wondered if this person was a psychopath.

Did he think I was a psychopath?

I watched him surreptitiously, he was wearing a paper class from a local coffee store and he seemed to know what he had come for. The sixth shelf, a book with a dark green cover. His gaze met mine, it was a gentle look on such a serious face.

He seemed angry and frowned until I saw his eyes.

"I know I have taken on the biggest cliché of this genre, but it's not for me, even though I think you are holding an even bigger disappointment than the book," I can not help but laugh at his criticism, I just know he's right.

"I would not be here if the Academy just down the street contained criminology material. But anyway, I am here hoping to find a suitable book for the seminar," I complain to him without too much hope that he will take pity on me or try to help me.

"What do you mean the Academy does not have materials for seminars?" he frowns, looking me straight in the eye as he sips his coffee.

"They all took the best," I say, a little exasperated. "I am not saying it's the students' fault, but it's impossible for there to be such a small collection of valuable books," I add, making it sound nicer and clearer.

As I answer him, he, I would say a man in his thirties, looks around for a book actually worth analyzing. His look is disappointed when he realizes that they have novels by Agatha Christie lined up here, most of whose novels are fictional. And I need real novels inspired by real crimes.

I keep watching him, because my brain will not let me not look at such a man. His shaggy hair flew everywhere, even over his face as he thought about something. He pulled a book out of his pocket.

"Maybe there are essays on one of his books, but that does not mean theirs are better done. I suspect that not everyone can remember some of the details that are crucial to writing a seminar, especially with books by David Rossi," he handed me the book with the man whose lectures I had attended twice.

"I listened to him live, the man is really good at his job," I replied. "Thank you for the book," I say.

"I am Ally West. I think it's rude not to introduce myself to the man who saved my exam," I hope and extend my hand to him.

"Dr. Spencer Reid," he smiles. "Sorry, I am not much for handshakes, nothing personal."

We were both still standing a fair distance in front of each other. It seemed like we were going to be in this not-so-popular part of the library for a long time. I got the impression that he could talk about criminology for hours. And he did so with so much passion.

"I need to find something to drink, I am dying," I complain as he takes another sip of his coffee.

"Did you know that death from dehydration is quite common? The symptoms only appear after a few hours without fluids," I give him a reproachful look, because this is not the time to talk about it.

"That's the most important thing, there's definitely water here," I tell him and walk to the center of the room. The water dispenser was right next to the two study tables and there was just enough water to get two glasses for us.

I went back into the den where I found Spencer underlining large portions of the book he had given me with a marker.

"This is the key to everything and most people ignore it because they do not read between the lines," he sounded too proud.

"David told me that it is noticeable but he is the author so he knows exactly what he means," my look seems very confused, I really feel like I do not follow him. He sounds too smart for me, even though I am not that stupid.

"We both work for the FBI, we deal with cases like this almost every day"," now I understand why he is so proud.

"What is the FBI agent doing in this library, do you have a day off?" I ask him jokingly, but part of me is curious too.

"Rarely, but I came here for the book and stayed for you, to help you," he tries not to be too cute.

I feel strange, I can not look at him for more than a few seconds because my focus immediately drifts away from the main topic. And that's very important to me right now.

After an hour and a half our conversation about the seminar ends, I thank him again for his time.

" By the way, do not worry about the book, it's yours now. And if you want to see me, you might find me here sometimes. " he said so casually before holding the door open and letting me go first.

"I like to help women in need," he says as we walk out of the library. We both go our separate ways and only then do I let my brain think about everything today. About him, how handsome he looks and how intelligent he is. He seems out of this world, too good to be true. And sad fact is that this is probably the first and last time I see him and I can allow myself to think about him like this.