chapter thirteen

IT'S BEEN A WEEK SINCE my graduation, and I haven't done much wise in that time. I contacted Louis to inform him that I had graduated and to inquire about how he and my brother were doing.

I've been feeling a little lonely lately, and for no apparent reason, I've been feeling more emotional. Since confessing my not-so-nice past to Spencer, I've had more freedom to feel and express my emotions. Speaking of him, he was on the field; unfortunately, there are still a large number of psychopaths and potential serial killers on America's streets, so he couldn't always be at home.

Many months had passed between the time we met and now, almost seven, but I didn't know the exact number because he was in charge of accuracy. He made it a point to spend almost every free day with me, even if it was only for half an hour, which proved how much he cared.

I frequently left him messages, and instead of talking to myself, I sent him my current thoughts. They were not serious, ugly, or disturbing things; they were just simple thoughts that ran through my mind. Because he couldn't get his brain to shut off, he enjoyed listening to my carefree thinking.

Louis and I agreed to meet in a cafe fifteen minutes from the barracks today, Thursday. When he had to visit the Quantico barracks, he was given the honor of greeting all the future recruits. I was expecting him even though he was right on time, because I hadn't seen him in a long time.

I hadn't seen a single familiar face in almost a year, and now I finally see him, the man who raised me. I think I'm going to cry.

"Wow, look at those highlighted ends," he said as he drew me into his embrace; I recall him always having his own kind of hug that was good for ten of them.

"I'm so glad to see you," I say warmly before we part ways. This is a very emotional time for both of us. Louis was never offended or angry because I simply fled; he was always on my side, even if he did it in secret. I wouldn't have made it through the first three months in Macon without him.

"Same to you, my darling, tell me some news, you haven't contacted me in a long time," I was overcome with guilt, because there was no reason why I had never really contacted him for a year.

"I studied, finished the academy, and now I carry a diploma. Who would have guessed that I would complete everything ahead of schedule?", I made fun of myself because I had been slacking a lot this semester.

Louis began talking about Liam, how he doesn't want to study and acts rebelliously for his age. The third child is always the focus. For thirty seconds, I feel the phone in my pocket vibrate several times. It's a request.

I look around and smile as I see who it is. He finally got his moment. When I press the green receiver, I finally hear the voice of a handsome man standing next to the phone.

"Your thought of painting your apartment dark green makes me miss my apatment because that's my style," oh god, he's really in character.

"Hello, Spence. I apologize for interrupting you, but I needed to hear your voice because I can't talk for long right now." As I wait for him to respond, I notice him smiling.

"The case has reached a conclusion, and we are awaiting the outcome. We were able to provide a profile of the perpetrator, and I am hoping to return home soon. How are you doing? Are you preoccupied?" Louis looks around with interest.

"I'm very emotional right now, I'm having coffee with Louis, I haven't seen him in a long time, you know...", his brilliant voice cut me off.

"Are you sure you're not pregnan-?" I ask again, this time with a ridiculous theory. "I have to go, I love you handsome" I say, hanging up the phone as soon as possible.