34.

SAYLAH....I-

MASON stirred awake to see Saylah sat up in bed, her gaze fixated on the window as the sunlight hit her face.

He gently wrapped his arm around her waist causing her attention to shift towards him. She sent him a sad smile in response to his soft one.

He pulled her down so she was laying down again. She turned to face him. Resting her head on her palm. Trying her best to keep up a smile but failing. This was a hard day for her.

"How comes you're up so early?" Mason asked

"Couldn't really sleep last night." She shrugged. Avoiding his eye contact. Her fingers fiddling with the bedsheet.

"You speak to your grandparents?" Mason questioned.

"Yeah called them about an hour ago. Told them merry Christmas." She flashed him another sad smile.

He brought his hand to her cheek. Stroking it with his thumb before her cupped the side of her face.

"I know today's hard for you. You know I'm here if you need anything." He stroked her cheek with his thumb again.

"Thanks." She gave him a shy smile. Resting her hand on top of his. A little thank you squeeze of the hand, was given to him.

The pairs conversation was quickly interrupted by a loud bang on the door. Mason could hear his nieces and nephew's excited chattering on the other side of the door as they pleaded for him to let them in.

"Uncle mase!" Summer called out.

Both mason and Saylah started to laugh.

"Come in." Mason sighed. A smile on his face as he watched the three kids charge in. Immediately jumping onto the bed.

"Presents! Let's open presents!" They all begged simultaneously.

"Okay you little monsters. Give us a minute we'll meet you down there!" Mason laughed as he picked his nephew up, lifting him into the air as he squealed excitedly.

"Okay!" They shouted as they ran back out. Leaving the door wide open. Both mason and Saylah hearing their little footsteps as they charged down the stairs one by one.

"Let's get this over with." Mason rolled out of bed, grabbing a shirt to pull over him.

Saylah hesitated. Hanging back. She was still in the same position on the bed.

"I'll meet you down there...I just need a minute." Saylah told.

"You okay?" Mason asked concerned. Causing the bed to dip as he partially sat down. Taking Saylah's hand in his.

"Yeah. It's just you know." She batted away the tears as she looked up at him. Trying to put on a brave face.

"Yeah I know." Mason looked down.

"Hey, I'll be fine. Just need a few minutes." She smiled squeezing his hand.

"Okay." He nodded, bending down and kissing her forehead.