24

Adara and Cale's group was only getting bigger. But they continued to the Capital with no further issues. Every time the two got tired of sitting down and got out of the carriage, Taylor's group would stare at them, though they never interacted.

They continued to travel until they were at an inn one day away from the Capital. Cale and Adara were in their room, going over small details about the plan, when Adara broke off in her sentence. She turned her head to the door and said, "Someone's pushing a wheelchair towards our room," she said in a low tone.

Cale didn't say anything, he only turned to look at the door.

As they expected, a knock came on the door. The door opened and in the doorway were Taylor and Cage. Taylor had two bottles of wine in his hands and Cage was behind him, her hands on the wheelchair.

"Young Master Cale and Young Mistress Adara, you like alcohol, right?" he asked, waving the bottle in the air. Smiling.

He is always smiling, Adara thought. It makes him look kind. "Of course," she answered simply.

Taylor smiled at her answer. It wasn't an invitation inside. "Adara Thorniwn. Cale Henituse. The Trash of the North-East, who cannot go a day without alcohol." When he was still the potential successor to the Marquis position, he had received a ton of information about the most well-known and notorious nobles. The information on Adara and Cale was so unique he knew he would never be able to forget it. "But I do not think that is all." They were both so very different from the information he was given and the rumours he's heard.

She was nothing like the Adara they heard about who was all bark and no bite, the one who would trash-talk everybody in a meter radius of her and laugh like she was a Black Mage. And he was nothing like the Cale they heard about who would throw bottles at everyone and swear a lot. No. They were nothing like that. They stayed in their carriage all day so that Cage and Taylor would feel at peace, and had the generosity to give them the best treatment possible. Their subordinates trusted them and followed their orders without any hesitation, and most importantly, they treated them like normal people. That was what mattered most to Taylor and Cage.

"You are different from the rumours." He watched their expressions closely. Cale did not change his expression at all. But Adara slowly looked at them through her lashes, a small rough smile on her lips. Almost as if she was mocking them, but not in an unkind way. In a way as if she was saying—

"Really?" She twisted one of her rings. "I would have never guessed."

Taylor realised he was reading Cale's expression wrong, and found out with a pleasant surprise that he was trying to hold in a laugh.

They were currently very close to the Capital, Taylor and Cage would need to move stealthily into the Capital, and also remain in the Capital while being unnoticed. Of course, to ruin all the stealthiness and confidently walk into the Royal Palace. But there were many things they needed to risk if they wanted to do this, but they made up their mind to move differently than their original plan. They had been watching Cale Henituse and Adara Thornwin for over a week now, they decided these two people were worth the risk.

Taylor smiled. "Young Master Cale and Young Mistress Adara. It should be okay to share a drink with us before we leave, right?"

Adara turned to look at Cale for a second. They made eye contact. Our plan is working, she thought, happy that the seeds were growing. Cale turned to Taylor and Cage. "Come on in."

Cage pushed Taylor's wheelchair inside, positioning themselves across from Adara and Cale.

Adara and Cale didn't even look at the alcohol as soon as the two were sitting. "What is it that you want?" Their voices sounded melodic at the same time, though cold and stoic as usual. Their faces were indifferent, slightly bored.