47

Two explosions sounded loudly, nothing compared to the explosion from earlier. Everybody was crouched down, their hands covering their heads. But nobody was hurt. Nobody was dead.

It was quiet. Everybody slowly lifted their heads. It was too quiet. They looked at the big silver shields. They were breaking, the shields had cracks in it, the silver wings were crumbling. Black smoke came from the breaking shields. There should have been a two people inside. But no flesh nor any blood came from the breaking shields.

Chills went down everybody's backs at the sight. The bombs were so powerful, nothing was left after it detonated.

Everybody looked down, to the two who had brought up those silver shields with their silver wings. The end of the silver strand of light.

Adara's hands were throbbing, small cuts appeared on them. Her ears were ringing at the loudness of the explosions, now that she heard two of them much closer than before. Her knees gave out, as she fell to the ground. Cale fell down with her, she could feel him closer to her, his warmth reminding her he was alive and well.

"Young Master Cale! Young Mistress Adara!"

Rosalyn tried to help them up, but she was not strong enough to pick up two people who both wanted to stay down. She looked at them anxiously, they were both on their knees, looking blankly at their throbbing hands. They were not moving at all, she could barely hear them breathing.

She looked at the place where the bombs had gone off, not even a single drop of blood, not a piece of flesh could be seen. The Black Dragon's shield had taken the majority of it, but not all of it. And their shields had a recoil, the Black Dragon's did not.

Rosalyn grit her teeth. "Young Master Cale, Young Mistress Adara, are you okay? Can you hear me?"

It was a very distant voice to Adara, she could barely hear it. She did not know who spoke it. She recognised the voice as Rosalyn's after a moment, though it was still far away.

"Cale-nim! Adara-nim!"

"Young Master! Young Mistress!"

"Cale, Adara, are you two okay?"

Adara recognised the last voice. It was Eric's. She felt him near her, she guessed her other senses were more keen since she still could not hear well.

"We're oka—," she tried to say, as did Cale, but both of them stopped short in their sentence. Because they both coughed up blood.

"B—blood!" Eric exclaimed, getting pale. He almost tripped on his own feet to leap back.

She stared at her hand, some of the blood had gotten on her hand, the red liquid as dark as her dress seemed to mock her. I must be losing it, she thought, barely able to hear her own thoughts.

Adara continued staring at the blood. Realising she could hear much better now. And her hands were not throbbing, the small cuts disappeared as well. Ah, the Vitality of the Heart helped me. Is this what it feels like then? Coughing up blood? As Cale would say, how vicious.

She was only slightly alarmed by how quickly she felt fine again, the pain disappearing pretty fast. She felt healthier than ever, actually. As if nothing could ever be wrong with her.

A refreshing feeling washed over, letting her enjoy it. It reminded her of when she was younger, able to sleep peacefully and feel refreshed in the morning. She was happy she did not need to regrow any limbs after all.

She had totally forgotten they were with company, and she started smiling, still looking at her hands. As she smiled, she wiped the blood off of her chin with her bloody hand, sending Cale a look. He was smiling as well.