61

Adara sat at the table, rolling the golden plaque between her fingers. They were to leave the next day, and she felt much better. She still wished she could have been there for Priest Charlie when he died, and she wished the Organisation had never involved him, but she knew what was done was done. And he was now peacefully resting under the ground, where the sun burned away his secrets.

She did not regret beating Sam to death.

The broken skin on her knuckles that mixed her blood with Sam's already healed; no trace of the crime was left on her hands.

She was now sure she would try to kill every Secret Organisation member she came across unless she had better plans for them. Because, however, accepting she might now be at the fact Priest Charlie died and she would never see him again, she still felt the anger swell up inside her at the thought it was not a peaceful death.

When she got her reward from the Crown Prince, she had been too busy to realise just how generous he had been. He had gifted her a golden plaque.

Now that she could think, no unnecessary thoughts in her mind, she could not believe he had given her a golden plaque. And she had used it up the second she got it.

With a golden plaque, you could buy something twice. Anything. No budget, except maybe the Kingdom's Treasury.

She used up the first opportunity to buy the Quillen Family and the second to buy Odeus Flynn, Billos's uncle.

Now, she wasn't so sure she should have done that.

She let the golden plaque spin on its side on the table. It was not hers; it was Cale's reward, but she had been playing with it for a while.

Cale sat next to her, staring at the spinning coin. "What's on your mind?"

She looked up at him as the golden plaque fell on its side. She sighed. "I'm debating if I should have spent my golden plaque so readily."

Cale did not expect that. She had told him what happened as she washed her hands, getting Sam's blood off her knuckles. He thought she might have been thinking about what it meant that Sam had been there, what it meant that they tried to poison her adoptive father and ended up killing him.

If it had been him, he would have been worried they would poison everyone he knew, everyone around him. But Adara wasn't him. And Adara had the habit of pushing stuff out of the way and burying herself in work and technical stuff.

"Why shouldn't you have?" Cale asked her, deciding to indulge her. He wasn't going to bring up Priest Charlie because she seemed calm for the first time in a while. And he didn't want to ruin that so fast.

She shrugged, spinning the coin again. "I could have paid for it myself. It really wasn't that much. But I spent the golden plaque in one day when I could have used it for more useful things."

Cale blinked at her. "More useful? If you think about it, you bought your head from them. I'd say that's something useful to buy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your head is no longer on display, then no more assassins come after you."

Adara nodded. "That is correct, unless whoever wants me dead, most likely Countess Louise, decides to pay an assassin to go after me privately. But then she needs to visit the Finance Department, which is a whole other story."

Cale made a hand motion. "See? It's a very good thing you have your head back."

She shook her head, watching the golden plaque fall on the other side. "But I could have paid for it myself. That's the thing. I didn't need to use the golden plaque. It was a waste to use it on something so useless."