25

The next morning, Cage and Taylor were in their carriage with them.

Hans smiled at them. "Young Master and Mistress, shall we head out?"

Adara found it funny how he was blatantly ignoring the two people in the corner of their carriage. They had told him about the situation beforehand and was taking Cale's order of 'ignore them' very seriously.

"Yes, let's go," Cale said, casually giving the command.

It would take two hours for them to get to the entrance of the Capital. They were going to stay in the Thornwin Estate in the Capital, and for that Adara was glad. She did not want to see the house she stayed in 8 years ago.

On and Hong kept glancing over to Cage and Taylor, who were sitting across from them, and simply climbed over Adara. On was sitting on her shoulder while Hong was trying to climb on her head.

"No, Hong, you can't go on my head," Adara mumbled to the red kitten, pulling him off as he tried to sit on her head. "We're going to arrive in the Capital soon, I can't have my hair looking like a bird's nest." Hong looked up at her with big, sad eyes, and Adara sighed. "You can sit on my shoulder," she gave in. Hong was overjoyed.

Taylor hid the small smile that was forming. "Young Master Cale and Young Mistress Adara," he started, gaining their attention, "what do you know about this Royal Event?"

Adara inspected him for a moment. He was definitely better off than Cage, who was struggling greatly with her hangover. It was impossible to tell if he was better off than them since they both had Vitality of the Heart to help with their headaches. She was surprised yesterday when she noticed the weak-looking noble in front of her had a stronger alcohol tolerance than Cale— a full-blooded human who was the closest to her level of tolerance out of everyone she knew— but it was expected that Cage was weaker than them. She seemed like the type of person who loved to drink even though they were a lightweight.

Her eyes narrowed. He is overjoyed at the chance of getting his legs back, even more so when he realised he can get back to his previous glory. He is especially happy when he heard that they don't have to go through the Temple in order to get in the Capital quietly. She did not like the Temple very much. But, he is so gentle and amiable. His personality is nothing but ethical, how the fuck did he not lose his position of Successor earlier?

But just as much as she was inspecting him, he was inspecting her. The last time she was in the Capital, she disappeared for four years. When he was still in the Successor's Position, he had been invited to a banquet. By Louise Thornwin. The current Countess of the Thornwin Family. The letter didn't specify, but everyone who was invited immediately knew that they wanted to announce Mikhail Thornwin as the Successor. He remembered how Adara had made an entrance. The doors opened at the beginning of Count Devon Thornwin's speech, interrupting him. A girl was in the doorway, she looked 14-15. Her skin was glowing and she looked exceedingly healthy, her skin was smooth without a single blemish and her features looked like they were sculpted from porcelain. She had a haunting grin on her lips, the scars on her face prominent in the light of the room. He remembered wondering what a Southerner was doing at this banquet since it was clear that she was not invited. 

"My apologies," she had said, bowing deep, the grin not leaving her face. "My invitation must've gotten lost in the wind. I wouldn't dare not attend such a—," —she had made a big motion of looking around the room before settling on her family who were standing on the opposite side of the room— "well-thought-out banquet."

It had taken Count Devon Thornwin to mutter her name in disbelief for the nobles to realise that this was the Missing Daughter of the Thornwin Family.

And now, as he stared at the same Missing Daughter, only now 18, not 14, he couldn't help but wonder if his entrance would be as satisfactory as hers had surely been.