05: AMAL

I end up missing the Daurin Aure (solemnization/joining in matrimony).

It's not on purpose; I'd never do that to Halima. I woke up with a cramp in my lower stomach and my period decided it wanted to arrive with nausea. I ended up spending most of my morning in the bathroom, throwing up every single thing I ate yesterday. When I finally got dressed, Mahmud and Baba took me to the hospital while Mama left for the Daurin Aure to explain things to Halima.

The doctor prescribes some medication which I take immediately we get home and by the time Asr rolls along, I'm much stronger. Mahmud, however, does not seem pleased by my recovery and I have to grin like the small devil that I am. Why am I not surprised that this man was hoping I'll be too weak to attend the reception which would give him the perfect excuse to stay away from ICC and every invited guest?

Mahmud Muhammad never fails to amaze me.

He grumbles when we get ready and Baba shakes his head at him. "Oh Mahmud..."

I lovingly grab my brother's arm, smiling blindingly at him. "Oh Mahmud. What a brother you are."

His eyes narrow at me. "Good to see you're doing much better, Amal."

I pat his arm. "Good to see you're going out, Mahmud...Come on, let's take a picture."

I don't give him a chance to say no. I pull him to the full length mirror in the foyer which I have loved from the day it was put up. Mahmud sighed resignedly and takes his usual spot behind me. We're both in teal green with touches of silver and I have to say we look good.

Baba joins us. "Taking a picture without me?"

I grin at him through our reflection. "Yi hakuri, Baba. Please join us."

Mahmud holds the phone up, blocking out half of his face like he always does and I grin before leaning back into him, Baba on his left. The picture is taken a moment later and when Mahmud shows it to us, I have no complaints. It's perfect.

I smile at him. "You get better and better, Dr Muhammad."

He walks away. "Let's just go dan Allah. The earlier we get this over with, the better."

Baba adjusts his babanriga and holds me in place with his suspicious glare. "You are not posting that picture, koh?"

I offer my most innocent look. "I really don't know yet, Baba..." Of course I am going to post it. Doesn't he know me by now? "I'll have to get one with Mama first...Don't be like your son, Baba. I love posting pictures of the both of you. If I don't do that, no one will. You know that."

Baba just shakes his head and sighs. "Zo muje, Amal. Let's not be late."

"Yes sir!"

~*~

The African Hall at the International Conference Centre is beautiful. I take a moment to appreciate it.

When Halima shared the rough sketches of the ideas she had a few months back, I told her they were lovely. I didn't realize it'll be so much better in person. This beats every picture and sketch she shared and I am so happy for her and for her husband, Idris, who I am still yet to meet in person. Each time I'm in Nigeria, he's out of Abuja. This would be the first time I'll get the chance to personally say hi.

Mama finds us quite easily and she looks lovely in the gown she changed into before coming here. I'd bet with anyone that she changed in the guest room at Halima's parents' house; the guest room with the black bathroom that Mama always goes to see whenever we visit because she loves how the shades of black are perfectly blended.