16: AMAL

Mama loves the fact that I said yes to Zayd and she looks forward to meeting him. Baba is also happy but if he isn't my father and I'm not used to his quiet nature, I would think otherwise. Mahmud, on the other hand, is happy that I'm happy. He's just not happy about the fact that I'll be leaving the house in about a year and a half if everything goes well (his words, not mine).

I told him to stop being a big baby and if looks could kill – coupled with the fact that he knows the right expression for each moment – I would be six feet under. He's lucky that I love him, a lot.

I don't have time to bask in the happiness that comes with officially being with Zayd as finals come with the first week of June. Zayd and I don't talk much via calls because of our crazy schedules (especially mine) but there's always a text to reply to and a story about something that happened to share. He leaves pictures too and so do I, whenever I have the chance.

Our first paper is bloody and it's as though our instructors planned it for every final year student because when I find my way to the café my friends and I frequent, everyone's complaining.

Jason bangs his head softly on the table. "God, that paper was awful. The rest shouldn't be like this. I'll die."

Alessia groans. "If the almighty Jason Sanders is complaining, then what happens to the rest of us?"

I thank the waiter that serves my latte before agreeing with Alessia. "Tell me about it."

Barbara glares at me. "Sis, don't even start. Whether the paper was bloody or not, I know for a fact that you are going to ace it." She then slaps the back of Jason's head, causing him to yelp. "You too, Jason."

I roll my eyes. "I'm not even going to argue with you right now, Barb. You'll take whatever strength I have left."

She smiles smugly. "You know I'm right, Amal. Don't even try it."

Diana joins us and we all stare in shock when she plants herself on Jason's lap, leaning back against him with a sigh. "God, I'm so tired."

We automatically exchange looks before turning back to them. Jason shrugs. "What? You all said one of us had to make the first move and we did so...Why are you all shocked?"

Oh wow...This is a lot to take in.

Oliver pushes his coffee away, leaning forward with unhidden interest. "Bruh, spill. What's going on? You two are dating now?"

Diana nods. "We are. We got together on Monday."

Alessia screams and we're used to it but the others in the café aren't. We don't apologize and we don't even bother turning to look at them. Since she's seated right beside them, she slaps Jason's back. "Bruh!"

Jason looks hurt. "Is today Beat Jason Day?"

Barbara hits him on the same spot Alessia hit. "It is!" She turns to Diana. "You sneaky fox!"

Diana blushes and it's cute. "Stop it."

Jason, surprising each one of us, wraps a protective arm around her. "Leave my girl alone."

I can't stop myself from snorting. "Wahala for who is not Jason's girl."

I know I'm dead meat when they all turn their attention to me. Their eerily matching smiles start out slowly. I let out a small laugh. "What's gotten into all of you?"

Oliver folds his arms on the table. "Amal, aren't you supposed to have given us updates by now?"

I play along. "Updates about what?"

Alessia scoffs. "Girl, I will slap you. Your apartment looks like a florist shop and don't think we don't know about the man you keep texting. You even zone out during conversations for God's sake...You better spill."