35: AMAL

Brienz, Switzerland

I've always known that there were beautiful places on earth. The village of Brienz is one of them. I can't help but keep my face plastered to the glass as we drive towards our hotel. There's so much of nature coated in white thanks to the winter snow, it's wonderfully overwhelming. It's freaking cold too.

I turn away from the wonder of nature to look at the man beside me who's also taking everything in. Like me, Zayd's padded up for warmth and yes, I will shamelessly admit that my husband looks very, very good. He's also tired and so am I. Having a wedding like ours can do that to you. While it was magical in every way possible, I'm glad it's over.

"Sa'ed?"

He turns to face me. "Hmm?"

"You okay?"

He nods, smiling quite easily. "Yeah, I am. I'm just mesmerized. It looked beautiful in the pictures we saw but seeing it in real life is something else."

"Honestly...I can't wait to tour."

"We're resting first."

I'm not even arguing with that. "Of course. We are staying here for about five days after all."

"If we don't end up extending it."

My smile falls. "Zayd Dantata."

He laughs. "I'm kidding, Amal. I look forward to exploring the other places too so we're not extending anything."

I'm not trusting him yet. "Promise?"

He holds up a hand, smiling in that same way that messes with my heart. "I promise."

That should be enough for now. If he tries anything funny, I'm pushing him off the first cliff I find. I turn back to the nature we're driving past and think back to everything that led us here. Our wedding dinner was a whole rollercoaster that ended with all of laughing so hard that our stomachs hurt. I spent the night with my parents yet again and then had to start sending out thank you messages with Zayd to every single person that attended. They appreciated it and I'm so glad we decided to do so. I said long goodbyes to my friends too. Don't tell anyone but a number of us cried, especially Diana.

We left Abuja late last night. It should have been this morning but I asked for a rebooking simply because I wanted to be alone with Zayd. It worked out well. Throughout the near six hours we spent in the air, I annoyed Zayd. Being the sweetheart he is, he let me get away with everything including me leaving my seat because I wanted to stay on his laps and watch the very same movie he was watching. The ride from Basel to Brienz is to last two hours and seven minutes and I'm so glad it's coming to an end. According to the map on my phone, we're nearing our hotel. Those darn butterflies are back.

The houses give way for snow covered trees and the road narrows, twisting at intervals. I'm about to ask why when the hotel we'll be staying in slowly comes to view. Do I gasp? Yes. There's no way I could help myself, not when I'm staring at a structure that could be used as a castle in a fantasy movie. The snow makes it even more magnificent and I give into the urge of taking pictures while the car comes to a slow stop.