Chapter 14

Everly~

The room was hot and steamy, but I felt a chill run down my spine at Jade's insensitive words. My fingers trembled as I started to undress and I tried not to notice the massive soldiers lurking just outside the room. Their eyes roamed my body as I started to undress slowly, refusing to make eye contact as I peeled off every layer.

"Don't look so scared." One of the women instructed from within the pool. "They like that."

Her words did nothing to comfort me and I quickly walked down the steps and into the water, retreating down to hide my exposed body. The water was scalding, but I refused to emerge, covering my breasts with my hands.

Keeping my eyes downcast, I focused on the ripples of water that surrounded my body as I soaked, trying to process this awful place.

"Raise your chin." The woman instructed firmly, but I couldn't. I was cowering in the water, too scared to look around and acknowledge the number of animals who were staring at me.

Before I could react I heard the heavy footsteps of a soldier who had entered the bathing room. He had a scar across his chest and long hair that had halfway fallen in his face. With his eyes fixated on me, I found myself scrambling backwards until my back hit the side of the pool.

Dropping down to a crouched position beside me, the brutal looking soldier unapologetically stared, letting his tongue sweep over his lip at the sight of my naked body.

"Show me your wrist." He growled. His body smelled like sweat and dirt.

When I didn't move, he became angry and slapped the water in front of me, splashing me and the women seated near me. The motion caused both of us to jump before I reluctantly placed my shaking wrist into his outstretched calloused palm.

He inspected it roughly, looking for the mark of the sacrament no doubt, but scoffed and tossed my arm back into the water when he found nothing except bare skin.

Letting out a growl of irritation, the soldier righted his posture and sauntered back into the training area.

"House." He yelled harshly, prompting about a dozen soldiers to instantly lose interest.

Feeling grateful for the lack of ink on my wrist, I sunk back down into the water, looking to the woman next to me for guidance.

"Word will travel soon enough and they'll lose interest." The woman said.

Her words were the first comforting thing I had heard all day and I nodded, hoping that would happen sooner rather than later.

"What's your name?" I asked quietly, feeling comfortable enough to reach for some soap from the ledge.

"Lillith."

"I'm Everly."

The only response I received was a small smile that looked meek and broken.

"Do you work in the house?"

"Yes."

My next question was very important and I was slightly nervous to hear her response.

"How long have you been here?"

Lillith didn't answer right away and lathered her arms before responding.

"Five years."

My heart sank to my feet and I felt my chest heave.

Five years? Five years of servitude in this hellscape?

"Have you not tried to escape?" I asked in disbelief.

Her face contorted in horror and she put some space between us as if I was unstable and could harm her.