Chapter 25

Everly~

I couldn't see and was barely able to breathe as Kaes' smoke surrounded me, carrying me to somewhere unknown.

I was suddenly dropped from a height that I didn't appreciate and fell to the ground, feeling soft greenery beneath my hands and knees.

Where am I? Are we still in Thoracia?

Looking around at the dense, plush forest that surrounded me, I tried and failed to recognize my surroundings.

A furious Ronan paced in front of me huffing angry breaths as he tried to process what he'd just witnessed.

"Why would you...how did you..."

"He..." Ronan cut me off before I could speak another word, pointing an angry finger in my direction as the spoke.

"Don't...say a word." He yelled through gritted teeth.

Every muscle in his upper body was flexed as he frantically paced around the small clearing.

I remained silent, but I kept a close eye on both Ronan and Kaes. For all I knew, Thaddeus could have been their closest friend.

"You can't take her back to camp and let her walk free, it would cause dissension among the ranks." Kaes offered.

"I know that." Ronan growled. "She should rot behind bars for the rest of her days for what she's just done."

There was so much anger and pain in Ronan's voice, but he hadn't harmed me. Not yet at least.

The sound of an Azarax's powerful wings filled the air as Talon appeared on his winged beast.

"Rook went to the king." Talon said breathlessly as he dismounted the large animal.

A loud sigh that sounded more like an animalistic growl escaped Ronan's chest.

"Of course he did."

Kaes leaned against a tree, picking at his nails as if he was far from the severity of the situation at hand.

"You could always tell him..."

"I will not tell him that and don't suggest it again." Ronan yelled at Kaes who rolled his eyes in return.

"King Ragnar will want her head." Talon added with fear and concern in his voice, but very little emotion on his face.

Ronan furiously paced back and forth, cracking his neck and rubbing his hand over his face as he tried and failed to formulate a plan for my fate.

"Do you have any idea what you've done?" Ronan hissed at me, glaring down with deep hatred in his eyes.

"You told her not to speak." Kaes drawled, motioning to me with his hand.

"I'm in no mood for your games Kaes." Ronan snapped.

"Fine." Kaes rose from his position against the tree. "Then I shall go where I'm needed."

With eyes wide at Kaes' threat of abandonment, Ronan took a strong step forward.

"I will go speak with King Ragnar. I can spin this. He'll listen to me." Kaes offered.

Taking a second to mull it over, Ronan started to nod in agreement before verbalizing his consent.

"Yes. Go." Ronan muttered seconds before Kaes disappeared in a puff of black ash.

Ronan let out a frustrated growl, raking his palm down his face before turning his full attention toward me.

"You could have just rejected him Everly. You didn't have to consent. You didn't have to enter the arena. Why wouldn't you just..."