Chapter 42

Everly~

Sleep was impossible. I didn't attempt it for long before venturing down to the kitchen to make myself some tea.

Kaes stood at the window, looking out at the night sky as if he was coaxing the sun from its slumber. His fingers twirled in a circular motion resulting in the spoon within the cup across the room to rotate.

"Can't sleep?" I asked flatly, watching him carefully for a reaction.

"Why does that sound like an accusation?" He purred, slowly turning to face me.

"Just curious."

The hot water on the stove was still hot and I poured some into a cup, readying a cup of tea for myself. Kaes watched me from across the room, but said nothing.

"Too worried about your mate to sleep?" He sneered, summoning his cup to his hands.

"As if that's a bad thing?" I returned calmly.

"You should have more confidence in his abilities."

Kaes was baiting me into anger, but I refused to give in. I simply took a seat and let my tea cup warm my cold hands, shaking my head at his antics.

"Ronan told me that you hate Ragnar." I tried to change the subject and gather some information for myself.

"Hate is a strong word. And also the precise word I would use to describe my feelings toward Ragnar."

"Why? I share the same sentiment of course, but I'd like to hear your reasoning."

"I used to be quite fond of Ragnar when we were younger. He was...ruthless and brave."

"And now?" I asked.

"Now he's just ruthless. He's scared and commands Thoracia like a frightened child afraid to have his toys taken away."

"How so?"

Kaes sighed as if my questions were bland and annoying.

"Thoracia is a massive kingdom with many resources, but little riches. It was once King Ragnar's intent to invade and unite the high city to the North of Thoracia. If Ragnar was courageous enough to take the kingdom of Maddmore, he would increase Throacia's wealth tenfold, not only that, but he would control over half the land in all Aleria singlehandedly. 

"But he won't?" I asked, now confused as to why a great king wouldn't commit to such a powerful plan.

"The king of Maddmore has a fortress. It is nearly impenetrable and guarded by mystics and necromancers alike. It would be no easy task to take Maddmore. Ragnar does not want his armies to make the long journey for such an ambitious risk. Both kings refuse to leave their ivory towers...cowards." Kaes spit out that last word as if it tasted bad. "Ragnar preys on the weak because he is too afraid to challenge the strong."

"Don't you also prey on the weak?" I sassed, before taking a sip of my tea.

Kaes leaned forward onto the table with a sadistic grin at my remark.

"I consume the weak. And I am afraid of nothing." His words were cold and cruel.

"Then help me understand. If you are so emotionless, why stay here and help Ronan? Why help me? What have you to gain from all of this?"

Kaes gave me a sly half smile that made my stomach drop.

"You think beneath my cold exterior that I have a warm bleeding heart that beats only for my friends?" His words were drenched with sarcasm and his body language and expression was theatrical and overexaggerated.

His smile rose a little higher, exposing a pointed canine tooth.

"Have you never once considered that I have thrust myself into this situation out of pure boredom? Your sudden rise in power is certainly entertaining and is only going to gain more attention as days go on. Why wouldn't I want a front row seat to the downfall of a nation? What on earth could be more entertaining?"

Kaes was almost laughing as he delivered his hateful speech. I shook my head, refusing to accept his words.

"I don't believe you." My denial caused Kaes' shoulders to bounce with laughter.

"There is a part of you that cares for Ronan and maybe even for me." I added.

"You?" He sassed, arching a brow as if the idea was absurd.

Deciding I had heard enough, I stood from my chair, taking my mug in my hands. I turned to leave as Kaes chuckled to himself which seemed to irritate me to ends of the earth for some reason.

"Then why do you dream of me?" I snapped, whirling on my heel so fast that my tea sloshed out of the cup and onto the floor.

Kaes' smile faded and his laughter dissolved into silence. Every playful and sarcastic fiber of Kaes' being quickly turned into something sinister as he slowly approached me. Our size difference became more apparent with every calculated step that he took until he was towering over me.

Taking a few steps backwards, I tried to conceal how nervous he was making me. It was only when my back hit the kitchen wall that Kaes finally spoke.

"What did you say?" His voice was deep and icy.

My chest started pumping wildly and I searched the room for a quick escape, regretting my emotion fueled remark.

"Don't be afraid now little nymph." Kaes hissed, using his knuckle to harshly lift my chin and force me to look him in his icy gray eyes.

"I asked you a question."

I swallowed hard as we locked eyes, his face a few inches from mine.

"What. Did. You. Say?" He repeated, enunciating every word firmly.

Gathering every ounce of courage that my body contained, I took in a deep breath and steadied my nerves before I spoke.

"Why do you dream of me...as your queen?" I finally asked with more bite in my voice than I had intended.

Kaes' jaw clenched tightly and I could see the muscles beneath his skin tense.

Before he could answer his ears perked and his gaze shot to his right for a split second.

"Your mate is home. And I don't know what you're talking about."

Releasing my chin with enough force to send me stumbling, Kaes left me breathless in the kitchen as he sauntered outside to greet Ronan and Talon. 

***********

Thoughts? Theories? I love hearing from you!