Chapter 17

Everly ~

I knew I should have cowered in fear, that I should have followed the lead of the nymphs around me who clearly knew more about this creature than I did, but I couldn't tear my eyes away from him.

As if my unapologetic starring had made audible noise, Kaes flicked his head sharply in my direction, letting his light gray eyes pierce through me. An unnerving smile lifted the side of his mouth exposing several perfectly white fang-like teeth. He was hauntingly beautiful, but radiated evil as if it flowed through his veins.

Demon.

My stomach dropped and churned as he turned his attention to me, pinning me with his hollow eyes and sadistic grin.

Why didn't I kneel like the other nymphs? Of all the stupid things, Everly.

I contemplated dropping to the ground at that very second, taking on the crouched position that the other nymphs held with their eyes fixated on the ground, but It was too late to kneel and avert my eyes. Instead I straightened my spine and faced the demonic creature head on, desperately trying to convey more bravery than I felt at the moment.

Kaes moved toward me slowly, his movements fluid and refined unlike the barbaric Thoracian warriors I had been surrounded by since I arrived.

"This is new." His words were cold, yet polished like fine silver as he walked toward me calmly.

My breath caught in my throat as he towered over me, grinning with a feline-like smile that knotted my stomach.

"Describe your gifts to me."

I swallowed hard before I spoke, hoping my vocal cords would produce sound.

"Earth...garden nymph." I managed to lie, feeling the gates of my mind rattle violently.

No way I'm letting you in, demon. I know you're there.

The sadistic smile on his face crept up higher on his cheek as if he'd heard my internal reprimand.

"Is that so?" He hummed, confidently, but I wasn't sure which statement he was responding to.

I let out a shuddered breath and gulped again, trying to focus on the tightly locked gates of my mind, refusing to let the evil necromancer into my thoughts.

"No need to be afraid little...garden nymph." He emphasized the word as if he knew it was fallacy.

"I'm not afraid of you."

One of his slightly elongated canine's was exposed as his grin remained intact.

"Good. Believe it or not, I'm here to free one of you...just one." He sneered.

Hope started to swell in my gut, but I quickly regained my emotional shield, knowing his words were too good to be true. Not a soul had moved at his offer, in fact the nymphs who knew of Kaes were terrified.

Liar.

Before I could speak a word of doubt to his deceitful offer, I heard a familiar voice cry out in desperation.

"Me!"

It was the poor injured nymph that I had healed just hours prior and her desperation had festered and grown since our encounter.

Shaking my head no, I silently begged the girl to reconsider, but she refused to acknowledge me.

Kaes allowed his eyes to linger on me for a second longer before turning his body and complete attention toward the sobbing nymph. Clicking his tongue he shook his head and wiped the tears from her cheeks.