...

"You've known each other all your lives!" he barks, which has Aunt Bella patting his thigh to calm him down again.

"I had no intention of marrying someone else," I say, wondering where the hell she got the insane idea. "I agree with my father, this will be good for both families."

Mariya's eyes widen on me with total surprise. "You want to stay married? To me?"

Without any hesitation, I answer, "Yes. It will solidify the ties between the bratva and the mafia." There's a flicker of hurt on her face, which has me quickly adding, "It would be an honor to have you as my wife, Mariya."

She stares at me with disbelief, then shakes her head, whispering. "Sure it would." "Sweetheart." Aunt Bella says to get her daughter's

attention, "What do you want?"

Still processing the events of the past twenty-four hours, Mariya's lips part, but she doesn't say anything.

I can't read her facial expressions and have no idea how she feels. My heart beats faster as I impatiently wait for her answer to the million-dollar question that will either end my hopes of a relationship with her or solidify it.

Pulling her purse closer, she takes the ring out and stares at it. I wasn't happy when she took it off on the plane.

"Give it six months," My mother says, her tone soft as always. "If you can't make it work, then you can get the marriage annulled."