...

"Three days wasn't enough," I murmur to her, hoping to God she can hear me. "We deserve a lifetime together, so you keep fighting, amore mio." A tear escapes, and rolling down my chin, it lands on Mariya's bloody silk blouse. "I love you so fucking much." My chest aches from the tendrils of loss gathering in the darkest corners of my heart. "Give me a chance to love you."

Touching down on the roof of the hospital Uncle Alexei had built after Aunt Bella had to receive medical care in an underground hospital, Viktor shoves the door open. I see two doctors waiting with a stretcher, their white coats flapping from the wind.

I'm careful not to jar Mariya's body as I climb out of the aircraft and carry her to them.

"Save my baby girl," Uncle Alexei begs one of the doctors

while I lay her down on the stretcher.

"I'll do my best, Sir," she replies before they push her toward the elevators. We all follow behind them, and stepping inside, I take hold of Mariya's left hand. My thumb brushes over her empty ring finger, and I vow the next time I put my ring on her, I'll tell her how much I love her.

Right before the doors slide open, I lean over her and press a kiss to her lips. "Come back to me."

The doors open, and I pull back as they rush her out of the elevator and down a hallway.

We're stopped at double doors, and a nurse advises us to wait in the waiting room.

No one speaks a word, the magnitude of what happened hanging thick between us.

We never thought someone would take on the bratva and Italian mafia.