Chapter 25

Luca

Aunt Bella and Aunt Ariana come rushing into the waiting room with my parents right behind them.

My mother was out with my aunts when shit went down, and Uncle Alexei only called them after we got to the hospital. "What the fuck happened to my daughter," Aunt Bella screams.

"She was taken by Albanians," Viktor explains.

Aunt Bella's eyes are wild with rage and worry as she goes to stand in front of her husband. "Why did this happen?" She aims her anger at me. "Why wasn't she protected?"

As Viktor steps forward, I grab his arm and shake my head. "This is on me."

Everyone's eyes turn to me as I say, "I take full responsibility. She should've had more guards." I shake my head, the regret thick in my voice, "I failed to keep Mariya safe, and for that, I'll never forgive myself."

"I trained Ivan and Lev," Uncle Alexei mutters. "They were good."

I shake my head. "Mariya should've had an entire entourage of guards. This is on me."

"Dear God," Aunt Bella cries. "Can we not have a pissing contest right now." She gestures at me, Viktor, and Uncle Alexei. "You all failed my little girl, and I swear on all that's holy, if she doesn't pull through, there will be four funerals."