Chapter 16

Luca

After the initial arguments, Mariya and I have been putting in

more effort to get along. I'm not gonna lie. I feel a hell of a lot more optimistic that we can make this marriage work.

It's only been two days, though.

On my way to the office, I catch up with all the calls I ignored so I could give Mariya my undivided attention. Knowing she's going to unpack her belongings and spend the day at our place, I don't have to worry about her, and I can focus on work.

I press play on a voice message from Viktor.

'I don't even want to think why you're not replying to my previous message. We're going to have a serious talk on Monday. I still can't believe you had the balls to marry my little sister, you fucker."

I let out a chuckle which turns to laughter when I see Viktor leaning against a pillar in front of the office building we share with Uncle Alexei and his business partner, Tristan Hayes.

The moment I climb out of the G-Wagon, Viktor pins me with a raised eyebrow. "I see you finally fucking checked your

messages."

"I was busy," I taunt him. "Wedding night with my

blushing bride."

"You sure Mariya wasn't red in the face from anger?"

Laughing, we walk into the building, and only when we're in my office does Viktor say, "Tell me the truth because there's no way I believe the shitty story that you got drunk."

I take a deep breath, hoping my friendship with Viktor is strong enough to survive what I've done.