...

"Mariya." Her eyes dart to mine. "It's time to go."

There's a flicker of an emotion I can't place, she inhales

deeply, then finally gets up. "Right."

Our parents walk us to the front door, where her overnight

bag is the only item waiting for us.

"Where's the rest of your belongings?" I ask while picking

up the bag.

"I'll have everything sent over," Uncle Alexei answers. He pulls Mariya into a hug and whispers something to her.

I take a moment to say goodbye to my parents, then place my hand on Mariya's lower back. As we step out of the mansion, she moves away from me and glances back to wave at her parents before climbing into the passenger seat of my G- Wagon. I shut the door and place her overnight bag on the backseat.

I smile at our parents crowding the porch, then slide behind the steering wheel. Noticing Mariya hasn't put on her safety belt, I lean into her and pull the strap over her chest. Her scent fills my lungs as I push in the clip. Our eyes meet, and for a moment, she looks flushed before she adjusts the strap. "I can do it myself."

"I know." I settle back in my seat and start the engine.

Finally, I don't have to share her attention with anyone.

Lev and Ivan follow behind us in an SUV as I steer the vehicle toward the iron gates. Just as I turn the nose of the G- Wagon onto the street, Mariya asks, "Why didn't you put up a fight?"