1

THE KING

Silence. Silence is all I've been hearing throughout my twenty five years of life. I was a stranger to the outside world but everyone in the palace adored the steps I walked on.

I was finally king in my country, deep into England, Lockwood was the name of the country I ruled, and ruling over a small village was an easy access or so my father has said. My mother has officially stepped down being queen which left an empty space for the new queen to strike.

Not only did no one know me outside these walls, but they never knew of my name. Never saw my face, never heard an ounce of my voice or how I could rule this country.

Pressure was all I felt as soon as coronation was over and it was finally announced to the world I was the king. Taking over my father's place after his death was unnerving. He would be proud of his only son becoming king after him, but I could never lift up to his standard.

Not only the pressure of being the new king unraveling but also the fact that everyone was hunting down a princess for me to marry. Never asked for my permission, just showed her and then I decided.

I took all of them as no's.

I couldn't marry a lady without knowing of her back story or what she liked or if she even liked me or for my position.

"Jaxson, the village now knows of your name. The people are going to wonder about a queen." And there goes my mother again. Constantly bickering on my lead in finding a wife while I was too busy trying to get rid of the tax claim over the village.

Those people couldn't afford such unreasonable law. I had to be the one to put my foot down on the honor.

"Well, what do you want me to do about it, Mother?" I ask her as I take my steps away from her but I can hear the click of her heels which make my teeth strike together.

"It's been months since your coronation. You asked for more time on deciding on a queen, have you even decided?" She puts me in a stop and my head is pounding on telling her what I truly think of this whole marriage scheme.

I turned around causing her to step back frantically, surprised at how fast I was. I tilt my head at her. "Mhh, I think I shall have more time. I'm a busy man, Mother. I am the king after all."

She huffs out a breath, holding onto the ruffles on her dress. She clenched the ball of her jaw. "People will talk."

"Aren't they speaking such nonsense as we speak? They already think I'm a horrible king, and I don't blame them. I would like to know who the ruler of this country is too."

"There is a lovely lady from India. Her mother and father are the rulers there, she's a wonderful princess and I'm sure-"

"And you're sure she'll make a fine queen. Yes, I've heard that all too well." I turn around and start my journey to my office. I hear her clicks, meaning she's following me once more.

"Jaxson, you are being unreasonable!" she exclaims, raising her voice. The guards are lurking but not stepping in. If it was any other person, they'd have her head for speaking to me the way she just did.

"Just give me time, okay?" I sigh, softening my eyes at her. I'd hope she would just give me enough time to figure something out, to get my mind straight for once.

She nods, fisting her hands. "Fine. If the king wants more time, he shall have more time."

She swiftly turns around making her way through the long halls of the palace. I head into my office which used to be my father's. I can still smell his scent swarming around this room, but the memories keep me up at night.

A knock is present and I allow the person to come in. Ugene, my right hand man, the one who understands it all; or at least he's getting paid to understand it. He enters, his arms aiming behind him and he stands like a soldier.

"What is your mother like, Ugene?" I ask him, pouring me whiskey in a glass cup, I take another glass and pour a cup for him as well.

"I don't see her often, your highness," he says in monotone.

"Why is that?" I furrow my brows.

"I was hired as your personal secretary, sir," he then answers.

"Do you not write to her?"

"Yes, sometimes, your highness."

"Cut the your highness talk. We are nearly the same age, Ugene. I'm going to hire someone to fill in for you and give you days off, it's not right to keep you from your family. Is that how it is for everyone in this palace?"

"Yes, sir." He nods.

"I'm truly sorry I did not see that," I apologize. This palace was going to change. It was my father's fault for having these people act like soldiers around here.

"From now on you will talk to me as your friend. Now, how was your mother when you used to live with her?"

He awkwardly coughs. "Is this a test, sir?"

"Answer the question, Ugene."

"She was wonderful. She would do the same as your mother would do if I was in the same position. It's just how royalty is, sir." He's sweating. He thinks I'm testing him, but I'm only needing a friend in this lonely palace of mine.

"And what would you do?" I take a sip of my whiskey, wanting to drown in it and forget my plans for the day.

"The village girls are very eye-catching, sir. I think you may find a lady that might catch your attention. Speaking from what I've seen, you are not interested in any of the lady's in this court," he explains, eyeing the glass cup I poured for him.

I hand him the cup with whiskey, raising a brow. "You're saying to find a village girl and wed her?"

"That's what I would do, your high- I mean sir." He swallows, taking the cup from my hands and hesitantly brings the cup to his lips.

"Jaxson, call me Jaxson from now on. Do not call me those silly nicknames when I have a name to be called," I say which causes him to widen his eyes but nod.

Leaving the palace meant war. Every guard on every inch of this country would be seeking out for me. My mother would possibly go insane but I would be free.

I would be able to fulfill the promises of marriage and actually fall in love with a lady who deserves it. I just couldn't let her know my real image. Not quite yet.

I would be able to hear the complaints from the outside. To know what it's like to be a better king for the people.

"You might be onto something, Ugene." I laugh out.

He gives me a small smile. I stand tall from the huge window of mine that looks over the gates of the palace. I could see the village from afar, smoke rises from the buildings and the brown dainty houses look to be on their last legs.

"And would you help me in this so called plan of yours?"

"I-I- Of course," he says in between coughs. I turn around to see him choking on the almost empty whiskey in his hand.

I smile wickedly. "What are we waiting for? Let's get to business."