2

THE KING

"Thank you, your highness for inviting us to stay here for a while. I hope my daughter will be a good suitor for you," the ruler of India speaks to me with such wisdom but I'm too taken back by his comment. His daughter, the princess, stares at me in delight, pulling a curl behind her ear.

"Excuse me?" I leaned forward, making sure I didn't hear him incorrectly.

He pauses. "Your mother invited us to stay. I thought you knew?"

"Of course I knew." I shoot with laughter all while lying to the gentleman. "I'll be sure to send maids up to take care of your things. I hope you find your stay as pleasant as I'll find having you here."

The princess and her family bow to me in which I give them a nod. I turn on my heel, making a beeline for my mother who watches from afar in the dining room. She's sipping on hot tea, acting as if she has no clue on why I'm presenting myself.

"How lovely it is that you invited-"

"You invited them without seeking me first?"

She sets her cup down, sighing. "I only did because you happen to take forever on your choices. Son, you were born into this and you'll make another to lead this family. I want you to make the right choice in finding a queen."

"I don't need your help in finding one and I certainly do not need a lurking one either." She follows my eyes which leads to the princess who shares a wave to us and I tip my head at her. I face my mother again and she tilts her head. "She's a good fit for this."

"Maybe for someone else but not on my side. I couldn't love her and that's not fair to me nor her," I exclaim.

"There's a possibility you would."

"I'm a twenty five year old man, I don't need help from my mother on who I choose to marry," I say coldly which causes her to gasp. She looks around embarrassed but seeks my eyes.

"They're only staying for a few days and they will leave once you make up your mind. Get to know her and if you still don't fancy her, say no, it's that simple."

"It's not that simple, not when it comes to you," I bite back.

"Learn to live with it."

"Have a good day, Mother." I leave her because if I don't, I shall say words I don't want to commit.

Entering my office which consists of my whiskey, I pour myself a drink. Knocks on my door are heard and I allow the person to come in without looking.

"I brought you the papers you wished for, your highness," Ugene states, holding onto files that were sent by another king from another state that I once wrote to.

I handle the papers from him, eyeing him. "What did I say about calling me that, Ugene?"

"Sorry," he's quick to respond.

"Sorry what?" I ask, smirking at his sweating forehead.

"Sorry Jaxson."

I now smile. "Thank you."

"Permission to ask a question?" He coughs a little, earning my attention as I flip through the pages of documents.

"Do ask." I nod my head, bracing my arms behind me waiting to hear his words.

"You're really going out there with no protection?"

"Well, no one knows of myself, so I don't think anyone will notice."

"What about your mother? What about the palace?"

I sigh. "They will be alright without me for a while. My mother can handle the problems if need be, she did it before me."

"Yes, of course." He nods. "Whatever you decide I'll be right by your side, sir."

"I think I'm going to need you here, Ugene. You can be my insider until my arrival again," I tell him and his shoulders fall.

"As you wish."

"If my mother asks about my disappearance, do not tell her about our conversation."

"I know nothing about what you're talking about, sir." A lazy smirk rises upon his lips and my chest fills with laughter.

***

"That suit is beautiful on you, Jaxson," my mother tells me as she enters the room. The maid fixing the ends of my sleeves stops her actions and bows to my mother who nods in appreciation.

"You would know. You picked the color," I retort with a sigh. I give the maid a smile, her eyes grow huge when I make eye contact with her and she bows to my presence. "Thank you. What was your name again?"

"C-Celeste, your highness," she replies with a stutter and fear wrapped in her voice.

"Celeste, I would like to have a word with my mother. Thank you for your assistance," I tell her politely to which she nods and bows to me then meets my mother with one.

The door closes as the young girl leaves the room, creating a silent presence that falls upon my mother and I.

I slide my coat off my shoulders and place it hanging over the mirror in front of me. I turn to face the woman who birthed me and who once ruled over this country.

"What are you doing?!" She exclaims quietly.

I shrug. "What?"

"Being alone with a lady of such kind. You are the king and if someone would've seen they would-"

"They would've what? Obligated to wed? I don't think so, Mother. She was simply helping out the king, nothing more," I interrupted her, earning a sharp look from her eyes.

"It wouldn't have looked good on her part, Jaxson." Her voice is soft now and she's now battling between fighting or giving up.

"What would you do if I wanted to marry a maid?" I now turn the question on her and her eyes are filled with disgust.

Her mouth lifts in a snarl. "Stop bickering with me, stop with the funny acts, and stop acting as if you being king is some joke to you. You need to put on some respect and grow up, this is royal grounds you're walking on and disrespecting."

"I am taking this seriously, Mother. I can't help that I was born into such foolishness of royalty you like to call it. I'm making different rules and laws and you cannot stand it." Her face is filled with hurt as if I stabbed a wound into her skin.

"I will take my leave now," I told her before proceeding to leave the room and leaving her to deal with drowning in her own thoughts.

Ugene is standing by the door and when I'm passing through it, he's right behind me like he always is. He doesn't peep a word and neither do I.

The guards stand on each side of the hall and they lead till the end of the hall. No one says a word and it's about to drive me insane, I needed someone to tell me I was right or wrong, I needed someone to tell me to go back and apologize to my mother, I needed someone to tell me I was the one being foolish speaking to her like that.

I had to get out of these overbearing walls. I had to get out of this palace that nobody would say anything, just anything.

"Ugene..." I trail.

"Yes, your highness," he answers.

I stop in my tracks, turning to him. "I think it's time."