3

THE KING
~Arabella's Pov~

Lockwood village was my home. I never once thought of leaving this place or the people. We were a family, we took care of each other since the king and queen couldn't do it themselves.

The king passed on almost six months ago, and his son Jaxson took over the throne leaving his mother to step down to the princess. No one knew of his name at one point and just a few days ago they announced his name and his coronation was finally over and he was the new king.

We still hadn't seen his face and I don't think he'll have the guts to show his face neither did I care. All I cared about was the children losing an education because teachers were quitting all because of the tax pay we had to endure when King Jaxson's father was alive.

I was the youngest daughter of the houstings family, I was the last one to get wedded as well. My mother was focused on getting my sister, Serena, married to dukes, viscounts, the king perhaps if he would have her, but he was mainly focused on getting married to princesses and such.

My sister fell in love with every guy that laid eyes on her. She didn't have the courage to tell them no, and I sweat blood and tears with her just so she'll realize someday that not every guy is good for her.

So far she's met five gentlemen in the past two weeks. Those two weeks were spent with me standing on the sidelines trying to not throw up at the men that were trying to win over my sister by either belting their hearts out or writing her a lovely poem.

That we're all based on Jane Austen. Thieves.

Do I need to say more?

"Arabella, your mother wants you home," A lady I knew since almost as a child calls to me but she wasn't my friend nor ever speaks to me, only when needed.

I was stuck up in a tree, sitting on the branch. The lady gives me a weird look before setting toward the hill to the village. I huff out a breath at her judgment and jump down from the tree.

Clutching my book to my chest, I walk down the hill toward the village behind her. The buildings were smoking from afar at the local bakery and shoe maker. A lady at a flower stand gives me a gracious smile, offering me a flower.

The yellow flower she hands me sits nicely in my hand and I bid her goodbye with a small thank you. The flower sits in my book, hanging out at the edge.

"Good day, Arabella," lady Agatha bids me goodbye as I'm entering my home. I send her a small wave before welcoming my cottage home.

She was a local teacher for the kids, her love for teaching is what kept her going even when taxes went up.

I could smell the pit of a fire going as I knew my father had started it. My sister and mother were in the kitchen whispering amongst each other and hushed when I approached them.

I knew they were speaking of a gentleman, making sure I couldn't hear a word they were saying.

"The nuisance has approached," I announced to them lightly, taking off toward the fresh strawberries my father had grown. I pop one in my mouth, savoring the juicy flavor.

My sister, Serena leans her hip against the counter top, crossing her arms. Her blonde hair and cheekbones were striking of course, my sister was a beautiful lady and every man in the village was seeking out for her hand when she announced she was looking for a suitor.