12

THE KING
~ Arabella's pov ~

Mother's screams were filling the house as she made preparations for the ball that is to come tonight at Sir Kingsley's home. I was not looking forward to tonight.

A maid had prepped Serena in a beautiful gown that I had sown for her, and she was thrilled to take Sir Kingsley's breath away.

Sir Kingsley invited the whole family; including Oden and Bridger who is going to be mainly focusing on watching Serena and I tonight.

Now it was my turn to fit into my dress, and lady Josephine helped, tying the ribbons when needed. She releases my hair out of my rolls I had pinned up last night, letting a few curls bounce around my head.

"You will look lovely tonight, lady Houstings." Josephine smiles at me, adoration sweeping across her eyes.

I send her a grateful smile. "Thank you, Josephine. I really would like it if you called me Arabella."

"Arabella." She nods, testing it out.

"Have you seen Oden?" I ask. I haven't seen the gentleman since last night. He stormed off while I stayed in the kitchen trying to catch my breath.

"I have not, Arabella. Last I've seen him was in the basement," she answers kindly. She takes more of the rolls out, smiling softly as she does.

"You must love styling hair."

"I do." She nods. "One day I would like to open up a shop."

"I would become your number one customer if so," I retort.

"You're too kind." She giggles.

As I stand upon the stool, face the mirror as she finishes my hair and I look proudly at my reflection. I was beautiful, or so I thought.

"You look beautiful," she compliments.

"Thank you, Josie," I thank her, giving her a slight nickname and she's in shock. I cover my mouth. "I'm sorry, did I overstep?"

"No, not at all. I haven't been called that since my mother passed away." She shakes her head, dismissing my stress.

I frown. "I'm terribly sorry for bringing such memories back."

"No, I love it." Her big brown doe eyes look back at me in the mirror and I can't help but notice how beautiful Josephine was herself. She's dressed in a black dress with a white apron covering it. Her hair is pulled back in a braid, longing down her back.

"Alright." I give her a sweet smile.

"Arabella..." She's hesitant.

"Yes?"

"You're too kind for this world, I hope you understand?"

"Kindness wins over the wicked. As I leave this earth I want to be remembered as a kind lady, who stands up for women's rights."

"I think you'll be remembered as you want." She smiles.

A knock is placed at the door and a cough is served. Josie and I twist to find Oden standing at the door dressed in a clad black suit. His curly hair is nicely tucked back and a strand of hair has fallen.