33

THE KING
~ Arabella's pov ~

Jaxson wished for me to be with him this evening after I had woken. Sliding a dress on with a bit of help from the two maids; Celeste and Ella, I was ready for the evening to be with my fiancé.

I noticed the stairs I had received from Celeste and Ella whom did not approve of my style of dresses I wished to wear from the village. I did not wish to become someone I was not, and I am sure Jaxson would want me to be as comfortable as I could be.

Exiting my room, Jaxson stands, waiting for me and he blows my breath away every time. Goosebumps arise upon my skin knowing what we had done yesterday, and I blush from his gaze.

"I have something to show you." He offers his hand, sharing a smirk. I take his hand and with his lead, he takes me to a nearby room that was bright white like my room.

My breath gets hitched at the sight of my things being moved over from the village to here, and many more things to make dresses with- some machines I could not afford to purchase. Beautiful fabric sits on a shelf just for me, so I could pick which color instead of finding one in a pile at home.

Tears formed within my eyes, and I could not help but express my happiness with a smile. Turning around to face the man whom brought this happiness, I surround him in a hug, squeezing the life of him before pecking my lips on his.

"This is wonderful, Jax. Thank you," I say with a smile.

He smiles at the nickname I brought on, wrapping his arms around my waist. "Jax? Mhh, I think I only want to hear that coming from your mouth from now on."

"Bella and Jax," I hum out, happily.

"Your sister's wedding is next week, I received an invitation from my men," Jaxson says aloud, breaking the news to me. I settle with a frown upon my lips, backing away from him. He contains closer, wishing for me to look at him. "I did not wish to tell you now, but I had to. This is important to you and I could not hide it."

"I am her bridesmaid," I retort. "I thought she might reconsider marrying him."

"She mustn't see what we all can see with him," he states.

"All she wants is love, true love..." I trail, crossing my arms and further entering the room that brings me happiness. "Are you attending?"

"She invited me, so yes. Besides, she is my fiancé's sister." Humor is written in his voice but I could not utter a smile.

Why was she doing this to herself? She did not love him, I knew it.

"Do you not wish for me to go?" His question causes me to look up at him and he looks like a kid who had gotten his candy stolen. I give him a soft smile, in his arms again.

"Of course, I want you there. You might have to be their to keep Sir Kingsley guarded," I joke.

He snickers a laugh. "Of course, the wedding would be such a bloody mess."

"I am just that wild," I murmur.

A knock is present at the door, and we both turn to see who it is. Still in each other's arms, we find Bridger standing in a nice suit with a smile on his face.

"Bridger," I greet in surprise.

"I forgot to share something else..." Jaxson says. "Bridger is working alongside me now, no longer your family."

"And what is his new purpose?" I ask, eyeing Bridger whom studies the room.

Jaxson stares at his new friend with a smile. "He will be your guard, protecting you whenever you want days alone away from me."

I stare back at Bridger whom looked to be a guard presumably. He was mighty big, he was kind, and he could become a good friend of mine after a while.

"Alright, if need be," I answered.

"I shall be in a meeting soon..." Jaxson trails, eyeing me. "Will you be alright?"

"Of course, I have my trusty guard to protect me." I smile.

Jaxson meets my smile, walking closer to me and pecking my lips. He leans in close so Bridger will not witness. "I will be back, explore the palace- get to know it, do whatever you must do to feel comfortable here."

"Alright." I nod my head.

"I love you," he whispers, pecking my lips once more.

"I love you."

Jaxson pats Bridger on the back as a way of saying thank you and leaves the two of us alone. I take a seat in the room, looking over the colors of fabric- one of many, many colors.

"How are you fitting well here?" Bridger finally enters the room, questioning me with a soft smile.

"It is different," I answer, sighing. "His mother is my biggest concern."

"Of course, she does not like anyone except her own family." He shakes his head, joking. He then sighs along with me. "It will take some time to feel comfortable here, royalty does not come easy. But you love Jaxson, correct?"

"I do, very much so," I answer.

He tilts his head, nodding. "If he can fit into your world for some time, then you can as well."

That was true, he pretended to be a villager for a while and was good at the act, we all believed. Could I do the same? Not act, this was going to be my home forever, I needed to be happy. Would I ever find that happiness?

"How is Serena?" Bridger's question takes me by surprise and I am having to look at him to check over what he had just spoken. His eyes are held with sorrow- a sadness as if he hated to hear that he was no longer working for her.

"She is well," I answered in confusion. I then bring news forth him. "Her wedding is next week."

"Next week?" He recalls in shock. He shakes his head. "I-I thought she was going to push it back?"

"What?" I stood from my seat suddenly, because this was news to me. "Why would she push her wedding back?"

"She wished for more time." His voice breaks. "I had spoken to her about the whole situation, she did not seem happy."

"You have spent the most time with her, Bridger. What has she told you?"

He looked like he knew something-anything, but he calmly shakes his head as if he has given up on the subject.

"She will not listen to me," he states. "All we do is bicker."

"Bicker? Over what?" I grew curious about the subject. What could they possibly bicker over? He listened to her and she threw orders left and right to him.

His lips were ready to speak all, but he stopped himself. He looks in pain standing in front of me, speaking on such things as my sister and I could not wrap my head around why he was acting this way.

Unless...

"Bridger, do you-" I go to speak the truth, reveal it, but he cuts me off.

"I shall go, I must, please come find me if you need anything, Arabella," he says, rubbing his jaw with the palm of his hand.

I follow after him out of the room, seeking answers. "I need you to answer what I was about to ask."

"That, I cannot tell you." He sighs, closing his eyes for a moment before opening them back and walking away from me and out of sight.

Something was not right, I needed answers.

Did my sister not want to marry Sir Kingsley? If not him, then whom?