36

THE KING
~ Arabella's pov ~

Days have gone by and seconds turned into minutes, minutes turned into hours. All I could think about was my sister's wedding and how she claimed she wished to turn back on the engagement, but cannot accept the frown upon.

Jaxson has been the greatest, he has made sure that I am well taken care of, spending as much time with me to make up for the broken days where he was not present.

Princess Lockwood has not come forth to apologize and neither have I seen her face. I was not expecting an apology, of course, but I was rather appalled that she has not even come to face me.

Today marks the spot of my sister's wedding. With the help of Josephine, I was dressed in a coral pink dress with pearls at the breasts; Serena's pick.

Leaving my curly hair down in a half up-half down position which was my choice, I was content in moving forth with this wedding and never hearing of it again, but I also wished for my sister to run for the hills and away from the scary man that she was to be wedded to.

"You are beautiful, Arabella," Josephine compliments and I share a smile back.

"Thank you."

"Will the king be attending?" She questions.

I nod, answering. "Of course, Serena invited him."

"How do you suppose today will go?"

"Hopefully Sir Kingsley or Serena gets cold feet, I am hoping for something lucky this evening," I exclaim, causing laughter to fill the room from her.

"Fingers crossed." She crosses her fingers, winking. "I will see you."

"See you." I smile towards her, watching as she exits the room.

I follow after her but as she turns a corner, I continue straight for the room Serena is currently in. The door is cracked, and I can see another person attending the room with her.

Whispers are formed and I can feel the tension conveying the room. I look further, seeing that Bridger is the other person. He is drawing near her as Serena stands in her dress with a frown on her complexion.

"I am sorry, Bridger," she whispers and I enter the room, curious about their conversation.

Bridger does not make eye contact, and Serena is gazing upon the ground.

"I was checking on..." I begin to say, but when Bridger turns, I witness tears- real tears falling from his eyes and he wipes them with his palms. The room falls utterly silent, and Bridger makes his way around me, exiting the room. I eye Serena, raising a brow. "What was that?"

"Nothing of your concern." She waves it off lightly.

I shake it off once I realize that she is suited in her dress. White lace is all I see on my sister and she is absolutely stunning this white. A small smile forms on her face, and she flattens her hands upon her dress.

"What?" She tilts her head.

I shake my head, no longer hiding a smile. "You look beautiful, Serena."