25

THE KING
~ Arabella's pov ~

The village was piping with people from each side. The shops were earning enough coins to last them for a little while. I was accompanied with Oden who helps me with the children of the school, they were all surrounding us, begging for a cookie I had battered up. Doe eyes stare back into mine and I am in a puddle mess gazing back at them.

How could the king be so cruel to not change the tax pay? These children needed an education and they cannot have one without any teachers.

We stand far off, away from the shops with the children at bay as they wait in line to get a cookie. Oden is holding onto a basket filled with the doughie sweetness, handing out a cookie for each child that he comes across.

A soft unspoken smile arises upon his lips, my mouth waters at the sight of him being so kind to little innocent balls of sunshine. My heart aches, my stomach flutters with the thought of him staying up all night helping me bake the cookies and seeing him up early with the sunrise handing them off.

Kindness is all I've ever known from Oden. I still remember those words he had spoken to me in the tree. He was going back home, of course, he was. This was only temporary for him since he was a traveler. He had a mother back at home, a family to provide for, but he was to be leaving something behind.

It was I.

I felt selfish for reasoning this way, but I could not help these emotions swirling in my mind. I would become a heartbroken lady if we were to... I could not think like this, I shall not. I must tell Oden what my feelings are truly for him so he could not leave without me, and if he must leave this village, then he would know he had a lady that loved him so.

How can anyone be so in love with a person that they'd let them go? It's a dreadful feeling, really.

Though, he had a life somewhere that did not belong where I was, that is if he does not love me.

Why was I expecting him to run away with me across the seven seas and we live happily ever after in a cottage somewhere, far away from here? It was spoken like a true fairytale that does not exist, only in the back of my mind where it is to be left there.

People would think I have grown mad with these sudden thoughts.

My eyes land back on Oden who is in a squatted position, kneeling for a little girl no older than six. Her hair was curled, pulled back with pins and her little hands were covered in lace gloves. She smiles up at him as if he was her night in shining armor, that could whisk her away from any bad men.

He is now speaking to her, but I cannot hear. The interaction is so sweet, it'll melt your soul. The little girl gushes in conversation, then bracing the cookie that Oden gives her. She leans in, kissing him on his cheek before skipping away to her fellow classmates.

Oden watches her from afar, smiling to himself before standing tall. Both of our buckets were empty, but the hearts of the children and ours were full. Our bodies meet in the middle and our gazes collide, Oden looks down at the basket, picking something up in it.

"I saved one just for you," he utters in a breath, handing over the sweet goodness to me.

I could not help but smile. How could you not with the gentleman? Grasping the cookie, I keep my gaze upon his. "These were for the children."

"I know, that is why I baked another so no child could get left out. I saw your face when we were baking, you looked like a kid in a candy shop." His laughter rings in my ears like bells from the church. Everything about him was beautiful. Dangerously beautiful.