35

THE KING
~ Arabella's pov ~

The village was as packed out as I assumed it would be, but I missed seeing the faces I once met with everyday. I knew I did not stay at the palace for too long, but I still missed the village.

A woman from the flower shops held out flowers for anyone to pick and I could not help but pick the flower from her hand and smile with gratitude.

"Arabella Houstings," A voice greets me and it is Reggie whom I have not seen since Jaxson's ball. He smiles when I meet his eyes. "I knew that was you."

"How are you, Reggie?" I tilt my head as we meet halfway.

"I am well, how are you? I wished to ask you about the dance with the king, he worked for your family for a while, no?"

"He did, we did not know," I answer.

"No one knew." He laughs which causes me to smile. He looks down at the flower in my hand. "Where have you been? I have not seen you with the kids at school."

"I have been gone," I answered, not giving him the whole truth.

"I hear your sister's wedding is next week, excited, are we?"

"Not happy as I wished to be," I say.

"And why is that?" He tilts his head, smirking. "Because she is marrying Sir Kingsley?"

"How did you know?" I smile.

"It is not hard to tell you when you do not favor someone, Lady Houstings," he retorts.

"I-"

"What is the king doing here?" He suddenly questions, interrupting. My heart drops to my stomach, my nerves getting the best of me when I suddenly drop my flower and Reggie bends down to pick it up for me, I smile in gratitude at him and he stands tall when the carriage stops near us.

Of course, he would show up when I knew he would be looking for me.

Bridger sits with the driver of the carriage, giving me a smirk as if telling me 'I told you so', I roll my eyes in annoyance at him before the doors of the carriage open and Jaxson steps out.

I look anywhere but where he stands, and Reggie nervously scratches the back of his head in wonder why the king was suddenly stopped near us. He is probably thinking he is in trouble of some sorts.

"Bella," Jaxson says and I close my eyes in embarrassment at how everyone in the village was lurking.

I take in Jaxson's form and he is suited in all black with a coat, he is not happy to see me and he sure is not happy to see me around a gentleman; especially Reggie.

"Come with me." Jaxson opens his hand to get in the carriage and I notice my bags prompted upon the back of the carriage, I scoff. His eyes soften at my accord. "Please."

"Good evening, Reggie." I bat my eyelashes at the gentleman whom's cheeks flush red at my actions.

"You as well, Lady Houstings." He nods, coughing awkwardly when he meets an angry Jaxson's gaze that bets him to flirt with me.

Hearing Jaxson, I push past him and I can feel his anger radiating off of him at my actions from earlier and just now. I enter the carriage, noticing a board game has been updated in this one and I look out the window when Jaxson enters, invading his whole body in my space. He eyes me from in front of my being, but I do not meet his eyes and neither does he speak a word.

I use my fan that is hung from my wrist and fan myself, piercing my lips as I do so.

The ride back to the palace is utterly silent, nothing but us with anger building. The tension was cruel, beating us through our breaths and the carriage was growing too hot.