11

THE KING
~ Arabella's pov ~

The ice cream was purely innocent, but the way he was gazing upon my breasts caused an awakening in me that I cannot hide any longer. We had gotten close, too close so we could only hear our breaths.

Just like the alley. I have never felt this way with a man before. It was utterly frightening, but pleasing. I was starting to feel a certain breeze through my underwear, a need, a want, whatever you call it. I was needy for him.

Avoiding Oden was harder than expected, I avoided him throughout the day, every corner I turned he was there either talking amongst Bridger or one of the maids.

Staying clear of everyone so I can surrender to these thoughts, I hid myself in my room, stuck reading or messing with fabric to get started on my dress.

Knocks were heard at my door, and I knew it was Oden but I never spoke a word to let him enter or even let him know I was there.

Night had fallen pretty quickly. It was a warm night, so I let the wind breeze through my open window, rolling over on each side of my body on my bed but finding no comfort.

When would this madness end?

I lay on my back once again, looking up at the ceiling, my body craving the touch of his and I raised my blankets so far up my chin, to get rid of these lustful thoughts of my friend.

He was my friend. How could I think of him such as this?

Craving water or just simply wanting to leave my room, I open my door, creaking it open to see if anyone was up this late. I beg to differ if they were.

I close my bedroom door behind me, looming in the hall and burning a candle to watch my surroundings. As I light the match, I jump back at the sight of a sharp jawline and lips that I've thought of kissing once or twice in my dreams.

I hold my chest, clutching my nightgown. I was tipping back and I didn't even realize until a simple touch lingers onto my elbow, easing me back on my feet and leveling eyes with me.

Oden.

I hold the candle in between us, only showing his jaw and lips and possibly mine as well. He was wearing a white unbuttoned shirt that was loose upon his body. He was ripped with abs and a little chest hair is shown through.

My chest heaves at the sight. "I didn't mean to scare you." He now speaks to me, whispering.

"It's fine, I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings. I nearly tipped myself over because of it," I say, trying to make eye contact with him through the darkness.

Suddenly realizing he's still holding onto my elbow, and it lingers across my arm. His touch was rough, but soft. He held me with such gentleness, as if he was scared I would run away scared from him.

I could smell him from where I was standing which wasn't too far from his presence. He smelt of cedarwood clashing with mint.

"You've been avoiding me," he lets out finally.

"I have been quite busy with the work on my dresses, I'm sorry." It was the truth but not the whole truth.

"I can't help but feel as though I made you feel uncomfortable since that incident in the kitchen," he states in distress.