21

THE KING
~ Jaxson's pov ~

The village was far from empty, people buzzing throughout the town, going in and out of shops. Bridger and I were sent to gather wood from the wood shop that was miles away from the Housting's home.

Deep into the village there stood Bridger and I as we made our journey to the far wooden shop.

The gravel crunches against our boots as we fall into a line of people.

Bridger smirks to himself, earning my attention. "What is it?"

"Hm?" He now stares at me as we walk together.

"You are looking as if something brightened your day, what is it? Spill."

"I heard from the others that you and Arabella came home early from the ball..." He trails and I already know where he is going with this topic of such.

I could not help but plaster a smirk of my own, remembering that night bright as day. We crossed that line, erasing a barricade door that opened up feelings that we were dying to let out.

"You filthy dog, you and her made love!" He exclaims it to the world a bit too loud and I have to shush him with a small hiss. Bridger takes a lead to look amongst ourselves, a few ongoing lookers approach.

"Did you or did you not?" He whispers, nearing close to me.

"We did, alright? Now, could you keep your voice down, I do not wish for everyone to head my business," I exclaimed, whispering to him in a harsh tone.

A cheeky smile rises upon his lips, his smirk fading away. His walk differens as we walk further into the village. "I knew it, I knew that you would wisk her to her feet. You cheeky bastard."

"And what about you?" I raise a brow, forming my very own smirk.

"What about I?" He asks, confusing torturing his looks.

"Do not play dumb." I chuckle. "The hushed whispers you and Miss Serena seem to be making, the far off looks, being alone. Could cause quite the scandal since she is to be wedded."

He thought I was dumb. He thought I did not recognize his interest in the girl either. I see everything, after all, I am the king.

He turns his look from me, his jaw clenching as I speak my words. "I have no idea what it is you are referring to. I am her servant, nothing else, nothing more."

"Bridger, is it okay if you are interested. She is not an ugly lady," I tell him to which his eyes find mine, which are held with such sadness and sorrow.

"You shall never speak a word of such. If anyone finds out, it'll be my head," he pleads with his words, begging me to keep his secret.

"Your secret is safe with me." I smile. "I knew you could not resist either. I always wondered why you were interested in working for the family, now I know."

"I am not perfect, I know that," he whispers, keeping his eyes ahead of us to keep himself from bumping into anyone.

"No one is." I stop in my tracks to give him my eyes which are held with such ease. I do not judge him for wanting a lady, and I do not judge him for wanting an almost married lady. She was still able to be taken.

Knives are heard slicing and my brows furrow when I take in my surroundings. Guards are on either side of the village roads, stopping villagers to question the poor people. They were most likely questioning my appearance and if they had witnessed me lurking around.

I needed to hide. I needed to hide quickly to escape from here. Although it would look strange for me to hide with Bridger, I did not care about that at this point.